Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the area and live out in Maple Valley. I was checking out the gazetteer and noticed that the Green was nearby to where I lived so I thought that I would give it a try. Well, I did catch about 20 fish in an hour period, but they were all 10 inches and under and. My question is, are these just steelhead smolt, or is there actually a decent rainbow population in this river? Also, where are the best areas to fish this river during the summertime? Thanks.:dunno

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Best time to fish is super early in the morning when the rafters with beer,etc. aren't floating and spooking the fish. Water is also super low right now so catching anything there will just stress them out even more. Good luck though with the few Steelies and smoltz that are there.

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men" Matthew 4:19

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
They are undoubtedly steelhead or salmon smolts. Contrary to the misinformed, who try to convince themselves that resident trout do exist, all trout will move to the ocean sooner or later unless they meet warm water downstream.
Sometimes steelhead smolt will stay three years in the river and obtain considerable size if conditions are right.
Like anything, some exceptions do exist, the Deschuttes Red-Band trout being one of them.
Smolt should never be taken or targeted. Sometimes they get on your fly no matter how hard you try (use larger flies), but in low, warm water like we are experiencing, they probably will not live through a catch and release because of previous stress.
Bob, the No Smolts For Me.
:thumb :thumb :thumb

·
Registered
777 Posts
Bob,

I agree with you that you should not fish for smolts, salmon or steelhead, but I disagree that resident trout don't exist. Robert Behnke, generally considered the worlds leading expert on the biology of native trout and salmon, clarifies this issue in his recent publication, Trout and Salmon of North America.

He does say, however that "The extreme closeness of relationship between a resident reainbow trout that may spend all its life within a few hundred-yard area of stream and a steelhead that may spend half its life roaming thousands of miles in the North Pacific Ocean has caused problems for identifying or proving the heridatry (genetic) basis for the two strikingly different life history forms."

I would urge anyone more interested in this subject to read his book, not only is it the bible on native salmonid species in North America, but it's extremely well illustrated and makes for excellent eye candy.

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/
http://www.patagonia-expedition.org/

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

- Henry David Thoreau

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have been told by

three different fishery biologists that there are resident trout in most streams on the westside. In fact, one told me that at one time it was not uncommon to catch them up to 15 inches. I will have to keep "kidding" myself and take the word of these biologists.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if i am understanding most of you all correctly, it sounds as if the Green River is probably not the place to fish this time of year--that is if I want to fish anything with a dry. That being the case, is there any rivers at all that are good right now(on the west side) to fish for trout? I am working on getting geared up for steelhead, but not quite ready for that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I have been told by

They are telling you the truth. There used to be some big native fish in the N/F Skykomish. We used to catch and eat them but that was about 20 years ago. Where we used to fish is now closed waters. Yes I used to eat them but I wised up and now just put them back. There are also resident rainbows in the N/F Stilly. Not all fish go back out or go to the salt water.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.