Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately we can't read the dissertation for another 10 or so months, till then enjoy this podcast with the author:

·
Buenos Hatches Ese
1,585 Posts
Lots of info to digest in there... It's interesting to see where the ideological shift happened that pushed hunters from being the "environmentalist" crowd to simply the "gun" crowd. And conversely, environmentalism becoming synonymous with anti-hunting. He pointed out several times that the pivotal decade was the 70's, but maybe I missed why that was? Did it relate to the Vietnam War and the other shifts in politics and public opinion that happened in it's wake? Regardless, it's really too bad that division is so strong and hunters are posed with the "vote Dem = lose guns, vote Repub = lose hunting land" dilemma. It seems that most hunters these days vote for the 2A above anything else, perhaps losing site of the land access and habitat preservation issues that are just as critical to being able to hunt. And those on the other end vote against the 2A for their own superficial reasons. Maybe some day we will all figure out how to become a little more moderate on these issues and actually accomplish something that benefits everyone...

Thanks for sharing that. I'll read his dissertation when it becomes available. Steve Rinella is the man, he definitely "gets it." I've watched a bunch of his show but rarely listen to the podcast so I missed this one...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.