Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to check out the Greenwater River this week, and the regs read as follows:

GREENWATER RIVER (King/Pierce

Co.)
from mouth to Greenwater Lakes

WHITEFISH Nov. 1-Jan. 31 No min. size. Daily limit 15 WHITEFISH only. WHITEFISH gear rules.

from Greenwater Lakes upstream
All Game Fish First Sat. in June-Aug. 31

& Oct. 16-Oct. 31

Statewide min. size/daily limit.

The way I read that, the only trout fishing is above the Lakes. Am I reading that correctly? I haven't gotten around to calling the WDFW yet to get clarity, but if anyone knows, please chime in.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Yes, trout fishing is prohibited below the lakes. For the past couple of years I thought (erroneously?) the lower river was closed to all fishing so I'm surprised to learn fishing for whitefish is allowed.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went up to the Greenwater yesterday. Ended up never getting my feet wet. Turns out the road I was scouting on the map no longer exists, and a sign below the Lakes at the Trailhead said the trail was out. By that time I was about running out of time to find a new area. Tried accessing a few spots on the White River a little further up and then on my way back down 410, but no luck. If anyone plans on going up there, be aware it may be inaccessible. (I didn't hike up the 2 miles to find out, so the sign may be outdated.) Also, for anyone who doesn't already know, the fishing Access Pass is no good in US Forest parking areas, nor are any of the other Washington State passes (Discovery, etc.) They do have US Forest day passes, though.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Went up to the Greenwater yesterday. Ended up never getting my feet wet. Turns out the road I was scouting on the map no longer exists, and a sign below the Lakes at the Trailhead said the trail was out. By that time I was about running out of time to find a new area. Tried accessing a few spots on the White River a little further up and then on my way back down 410, but no luck. If anyone plans on going up there, be aware it may be inaccessible. (I didn't hike up the 2 miles to find out, so the sign may be outdated.) Also, for anyone who doesn't already know, the fishing Access Pass is no good in US Forest parking areas, nor are any of the other Washington State passes (Discovery, etc.) They do have US Forest day passes, though.
You can still follow the trail. You will have to cross the water or walk across a log. Very easy hike and easy to get past where the trail washed out. Did that hike about a month ago

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Jp, that's helpful. By the time I got to that point in the morning, I didn't want to take the time to hike and find out, I had to get back home and get sleep for work that night. (I know, sleep is overrated)

Chomping at the bit to break in my Simms Riverteks. Maybe Sunday.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good looking dog @DBP got ours from the pound up in Anchorage. Such a loyal breed-
Yeah. And from what I hear, they'll be loyal to the next person they run into, as well. It was suggested not to leave them unattended in the front yard, since if they get stolen, they'll be just fine with the new owner.

He took a ride today. In between stops of the forest road, we left him out of his belted harness in the back seat, and when a buck ran out in front of us, we hit the brakes and Jr. shot forward into the back of my seat. He was unphased, and lesson learned. He got belted in right away. The buck was also unphased. Jerk.

·
282 Posts
They live to chase moving objects. Little 20lbs Wilson has chased off moose that should have stomped him into the ground. its in their blood.
The fusking jack off that left him at the pound filled out the paper work describing the shed they left him locked up in. Disgusting in my book.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is he purebred? If so, why the hell would someone spend that kind of money to a) lock him in a shed (a lap dog in a shed!?! WTF!?!); and b) dump him off at the pound?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The Greenwater used to have good fishing; caught some chunky cutts out of it. I know recently it's been harder to access because the private forest (stump) lands have been closed d/t fire hazard. When did the state start closing the lower river to trout fishing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.