Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resident Swinger
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my baby came into the world a month ago I have been itchin' like crazy to get out to some water. Maybe jonesin' for a fix is a better way to put it! I finally got my hall pass yesterday so I headed out to the salt for some beach therapy. The wind was blowing a bit, but was manageable. After 30 minutes or so I was rewarded with a nice 12" or so SRC, my first dolly in the salt, and some kind of 4" smolt. I was feeling good about life and then I looked down the beach. I thought I saw a whale blow close to shore maybe 1/8 mile down, but didn't believe it. Then it happened again, and there was a fin, then two! I reeled up and walked down and there were two grey whales having a good time scratching themselves on the bottom close to shore. Here is a video of one of the whales swimming right by me and doing the back itch (it was close enough that I could have casted to it). The eagles were also out, which is always nice.

All in all, a great day at the beach which = relief!

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Awesome report and video Matthew. Great stuff, glad you got out. Hope the three of you are doing well at home.

·
Make my day
4,820 Posts
Karl, How the hell am I going to get film of a gray whale in fresh water?

Matthew, good on you for getting out. Bonus for catching. And the whale was great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.