Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be up in Bellingham for Grouse opener. Typically I run my two GSPs in SW WA and OR. Was doing some research it seems like most of the logging roads are gated and posted. Does anyone know if you can get permission or how to get permission to access these areas? I would also be willing to trade some info on my kneck of the woods via PM if anyone in the area has some general advice. Oh yeah, I am running dogs not shooting birds off the side of the road. Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
It's thick...you'll hear a flush, but 99% of the time you will never see the bird. Most people drive the roads around here...their version of grouse hunting. If you find a road that has been barricaded off the better. Places are gated, however, mostly to keep vehicles out not people.

I'll send you a PM for a few locations. FYI - don't keep anything nice in your vehicle. Most of these back roads are well traveled, so being their early giving your dogs a good 'walk' might help you produce.

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
Welcome aboard mate.
Co. court house will have a map and list the land owners, Logging Co's
Not sure I understood, you are running your dogs from a car/truck. You drive, dogs run?
Just my .02, but that is not a good idea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually what I do around here is head up to about 4 or 5,000 feet and try to find some ridge lines to hike with the dogs (not on the road). Typically put up 11 or 12 blues in a hunt from 8 to 12. Then starts to get hot so call it a day. I was talking to my father inlaw and he was saying that alot of the area is gated and posted. Wasn't sure. Seems like grouse don't draw very many people. That surprises me due to the #s. Have to head up there for wife's family get together...guess people don't plan these things around hunting season.

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
I don't know the real reason for the locked gates, but if it is private timber land the co. doesn't want people stealing timber, leaving trash, camping out, growing pot, meth labs, etc.
There should be USFS roads that will get you up into the blues country.
Happy hunting

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Early season its mainly blues as you need the leaves to fall to have a chance to catch the ruffs in the lower river valleys. Try Canyon Creek area, Church Mountain, any high country hike and get off the trail into the blue berries. Fun to shoot blues over a point for sure! Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.