Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, so I'm on vacation at Long Beach with my wife, who did let me bring the rod's and reel's. While she was in a beeding class, the equivelant of fly tying, I stopped in at the Chinook General Store for a pop and some info. I payed for the soda and asked the man behind the counter if he had some rules and regs booklets. He asked where I was from, which I told him Battle Ground and he proceeded in giving me his rant on how "they" shut down the river on the 24th and his business has gone to shit and it was all our upper river sport fisherman's fault because "they" shifted the quotas to give us upstream guys more fish. I didn't quite know what to say so I decided to insert foot further and told him that I was going to the Deschuted next weekend for some fly fishing with my brother, CRAP! was that the wrong thing to say, he started on to the Oregon fisherman and they're fisheries dept and told me they get more fish alocated to them than we do and they come out of the same river our's do and it's just not right and started telling me that he only makes a dime a gallon profit on gas and bread and on and on and on. I hated to do so but I asked him if there was any place I could throw flies. He kind of pointed his finger down the road and said try the hole down the dike road but watch the power line. Man I couldn't get out of there any faster, I did drive down the dike road and did find the hole with the power line hanging down about 6 feet above the water and said "are you f___in kidding me?" I guess I should have known better but I had to atleast give it a look. What an ass hole! I'll never go back there again. I did find a little pond down by Oysterville and caught some small bass and had fun. Boy no need to bring the rods here again, maybe my wife knew something I didn't after all.:beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::thumb:

·
Just swimming around, chasing fish in Beervana
65 Posts
I was in a similar predicament earlier this summer. There's very little fishing to do in that area. I brought my stuff and didn't feel like ever breaking it out. Seems like kind of a bummer place to fish if you're visiting unless you have a boat to fish for SRC's and other migratory stuff in the massive marshes and estuaries in the area.

-my take

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Jim Riggins meet Old Man Jim...Old Man Jim...Jim Riggins
Actually Jim, Old Man is much nicer than that, he just trys to play an Internet tough guy. Sorry you had such a lame encounter with a local businessman.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ed, I'm sure Old Man Jimbo isn't a dick like that guy is, it's to bad that all the business's down here depend on the salmon runs so much, and being self-employeed as my wife is I'm sure that certain times of the year it is harder to make ends meet than others but don't take it out on the poor bastard standing in front of you handing you money. It's just bad business practice letting the customer know haw desperate things are, he must have been having a bad day, probably shouldn't told him about all the kings rolling around the Kalama and I would gladly meet Old Man Jim bet his bark is worse than his bite.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You'd have to come over to take a poke at me, we'd have to hit the Kalama first though. Boy 2 old fuckers both named Jim duking it out, that's a pay for view moment. and no that wasn't me on the info. I could use some about now, the wife is taking me to a beading class! that's an all time low, wonder if they would notice me tying flies instead of beading, I could make those lanyard like Bob does. just a thought, still going to suck though! JAMES

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Jim Riggins, red wine and brown mohair yarn or fuzzy dubbing, size 14-18 hooks and tiny red wine colored beads, fly vice and thread...bead class up yourself some caddis emergers that will slay on stillwater fished just below the survace. It is a beading class project that is a win-win.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Jim and Jim We know you're not grouches and that you help a guy out If you can and I know if I stopped to watch the two of you fight you'd get to the river before me, and I'd have to find another spot. OMJ just has to have his thing so we can give him c--p and Jim R go to bead class and learn something. Then you too could make lanyards and not leave it up to your wife. You should see the fishing shirt my wife did for me but she'd kill me if I suggested that I learn to sew on her machine. o'uo should come up and use the stuff I have to make yours hen you'd know how. But that wouldn't show appreciation to your wife or let her do something for you That you would Owe her for.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Jim R I do hronomids emergers trout flies and nymphs Buggers and leeches and steelhead and salmon flies and fkies to use on the beaches. You could get your wife to tie you flies. One thing to remember is that you got to keep your back cast up or you smash beads on the rocks. If tied right they are easy to repair.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.