Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Often visitor to the Evergreen State.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping this summer to spend a bit of time in the Evergreen State (should disclose I'll be visiting in California) with my dad, and would like to take him fly fishing, for his first time, on the Yakima. He's 71 and pretty experienced fishing with spinners and other hardware. He really enjoys fishing, but just needs a kick in the butt to get out fishing. I’m hoping to provide that kick.

If anyone’s willing to offer the name of a Yakima River guide who might do well with someone unfamiliar with fly fishing and casting, and who might offer some on-the-water teaching, I’d appreciate it. Would I be correct in assuming that with it’s width a drift trip would provide for easy casting (nothing behind you and roll casting?), with perhaps some success nymphing?

I took my dad to Alaska in June of ’08 and he had a blast with a 60 lb. king, and I’m thinking even a 12-14 inch strong rainbow on a fly rod will give him a different but equally enjoyable thrill.

Thanks in advance for any help.

~ Pat

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Johnny Boitano out of Reds...
Reds is having a GREAT winter deal. Check it out.

If you don't do go with this deal, I'd fish with Jeff Comella. Great guy, focused, fun, good teach, and will work hard to get you fish. Solid reliable person that knows the Yakima well.

·
AKA Joe Willauer
2,135 Posts
Call the Yakima River Fly Shop in Cle Elum at 509.674.2144 or at http://www.yakimariverflyshop.com. Try to go out with the owner Jim gallagher or lead guide Scott Wilson. Both guides are extremely good anglers, good teacher, and straight up two of the coolest dudes on the river.
iagree or call The Evening Hatch and ask for Keith or Keven

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
You can shoot EmergingRivers a PM. I believe he floats the upper Yakima often and knows the Yak well.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Off topic a little but is the Yakima Fly Shop even open anymore. I have driven by it for the last 3-4 weeks and they are never open. I am looking for a shuttle so if anyone knows of any other shuttle service on the upper river near Cle Elum.
Thanks

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
Off topic a little but is the Yakima Fly Shop even open anymore. I have driven by it for the last 3-4 weeks and they are never open. I am looking for a shuttle so if anyone knows of any other shuttle service on the upper river near Cle Elum.
Thanks
when i went last month they were still open. bought a load of flies there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Keith Werslund with the Evening Hatch. He is GREAT. Very knowledgable, extremely patient with folks new to fly fishing, and extremely entertaining. He is absolutely fantastic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would definitely give David Child a call at www.dreamflyfishing.com. He took me out on the river and made the day enjoyable. His knowledge of the river is top notch and he WILL put you on the fish. I would recommend David to everyone from beginner to advanced flyfisherman. Oh yeah, the food he brings along CANNOT be beat.

·
card shark
2,315 Posts
Pat, as you can see lots of referrals to good guides. I would suggest planning your trip for the lower canyon, which fishes best from a boat, lots of easy access points, and proficiency with a fly rod more optional than at other areas on the river. Enjoy your time out with your Dad.

·
Often visitor to the Evergreen State.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pat, as you can see lots of referrals to good guides. I would suggest planning your trip for the lower canyon, which fishes best from a boat, lots of easy access points, and proficiency with a fly rod more optional than at other areas on the river. Enjoy your time out with your Dad.
We're firming up a trip as I write this. Thank you to everyone who offered recommendations!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.