Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything out there that can stop/delay or slow down the build up of ice on my guides?

I'm getting too old for this crap. I think I've been doing this cold weather fishing long enough to have had someone come up with a remedy I hope, cause I can't come up with anything.

Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Before you get anything wet, spray down the reel and line with Reel Magic (Blakemore. . .as suggested above) and lube up the guides with a thin coat of Stanley's ice off paste. I'd rather be fishin cold than be a warm pussy. . . but that's just me. Eventually I'll change my mind,

fb

·
Trouthunter
497 Posts
chapstick seems to do a decent job.

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
483 Posts
Drinking any kind of booze will get you cold faster. To keep warm you need hot things. And no, Hot toddies are not a good fix.

Jim
I didn't say to exccess, but I like to take the bite off a bit with a little sip of the juice. I never complain about cold weather, not working and being on the water. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chapstick,vasaline, or pam. Ive found that chapstick brand is by far the most convinent way to keep ice off your guides

J
At first I thought you guys were yanking my chain! I never thought something could be that simple.

After 24 yrs of fly fishing...just goes to show, you can always learn something new, and there's never a dumb question.

Thanx guys! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Loon Stanley's Ice off paste. Works great at first, wears off after a couple hours. Apply when ice starts building up, or just dip your rod in the water every so often to loosen up the ice. If the ice is stubborn, just stick the eyelet in your mouth and crunch the ice with your teeth. I love fishing this time of year...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.