Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to learn how to go after Steelhead on the Clearwater in Idaho this fall and I’m looking to hire a guide for a day or two. Of course I would love to catch fish, but my primary goal is to hook up with an experienced (and talkative) guide and get as much knowledge out of him/her as possible. This is much more of a long-term investment than just looking to get a picture taken with a B-run.

I’ve been fishing the smaller rivers in the area during the late winter/spring over the last few years and I feel I have that somewhat figured out, but don’t really have a clue about the fall situation. I’m guessing this will lead me down a path towards getting a spey rod?

Anyhow, does anybody feel good about recommending a flyfishing steelhead guide on the Clearwater River? Thanks!

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I bet if you call Poppy from the Red Shed in Peck Idaho he'll have the skinny on the Clearwater.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Tracy Allen, a great guide! call poppy at the red hed he can give you his info, I can't find his card.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I stopped in Poppy's shop only once but the fellow working the counter was a guide. He gave me a bunch of advice on flys, water (what was good under the conditions at the time not direction to a particular rock) and I caught my first SH about an hour later. I would call Poppy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.