Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a full day guided fly trip on September 10, 11 or 12 for my son and I.

Going to be staying in the Goldendale area, so the Klickitat would be the closest river followed by, I guess, the Yakima.

Don't care if it's trout, salmon or steelhead.

Anyone got recommendations on the best river for that time of the year and a good guide?

Appreciate it!

·
Registered
368 Posts
For the Klickitat or the Yakima "The Evening Hatch" would be a good bet. For the Yak you could talk to the folks at "Reds" or at "Worley Bugger." The Deschutes would also be a possibility. For that you could contact the "Deschutes Angler" or "Deschutes Canyon" flyshops.

For trout I'd do either the Yakima or the Deschutes above Maupin. For steelhead either the Deschutes or Klickitat would work; but you better setup your trip right aways since most guides are pretty busy that time of year.

If you want some specific names drop me a PM.

GBeeman

·
Registered
368 Posts
if you want to flyfish the klickitat, i would talk to tom larimer....if you want to jig fish eggs out of a boat, the aforementioned guides will oblige
Tom,

I recommended that he talk to three shops, and mentioned one guide service. When I fished with "The Evening Hatch" we swung flies. If you're going to dump on someones post at least get your facts straight.

GBeeman

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Early Sept. and on the Columbia River, King salmon come to mind.

It may not be fly fishing but you owe yourself the opportunity to fish a great river for the great Kings that come up that system. The runs are good this year and you will never fish anything like the BIG river.

Yes, it isn't fly fishing but when you hook up with a BIG King you really won't care!!!

You can go hit the Yakima and maybe get a 16 inch fish or you can hit the Columbia and have a legitimate shot at a 30 pound plus King!!

If nothing else drive down the Columbia to Fort Camby at the mouth of the Columbia. You can fish off the Jetty if you so desire but if nothing else it is spectacular! A mighty river hits a mighty ocean!! I absolutely guarntee you that you will be impressed. You will understand why it is called the graveyard of the Pacific!!
The power of a great ocean meets the power of a great river!! In early Sept. you have the opportunity to experience an ocean driven storm blowing in. Once experienced it will become a piece of family lore and legend! When a storm surge shakes the entire jetty and waves rolling in from thousands of miles hit it you will be impressed. Your'e significance on planet earth will definately be challlenged!!

Dave

·
Registered
414 Posts
Give Reds Fly Shop a call (509)933-2300. Those guys have both the Yakima and the Klickitat dialed in. Both rivers should be fishing good at that time. The Steelhead counts look very good this year. As mentioned above, schedule your trip now. Guide schedules tend to fill up fast that time of year.

·
Joe's brother
190 Posts
Call up Troutwater in Eburg or Cle Elum. They'll guide you on the Klick, Yakima, Naches, or Methow all four rivers fish great. Number is 509 962 3474. All their guides kill it, and are not pretentious. Not only do they have both river dialed in, but it is a guaranteed epic day fishing with Ted, Jim, or either of the Boitano brothers.

·
Learned skills from George Dickel
481 Posts
The Cle Elum fly shop runs Troutwater, which includes the guides who used to be at Evening Hatch. Evening Hatch is closed. Troutwater aka Yakima River Fly Shop is the contact point for both groups now.
Red's people in the canyon are also excellent.

There's a guy whose guiding is now affiliated with the Bellevue Orvis store, whose name escapes me. He has been recommended to me before, but I haven't gone out with him on the Yak yet. He's listed in Orvis'
endorsed guides listings

·
Joe's brother
190 Posts
The Cle Elum fly shop runs Troutwater, which includes the guides who used to be at Evening Hatch. Evening Hatch is closed. Troutwater aka Yakima River Fly Shop is the contact point for both groups now.
Red's people in the canyon are also excellent.

There's a guy whose guiding is now affiliated with the Bellevue Orvis store, whose name escapes me. He has been recommended to me before, but I haven't gone out with him on the Yak yet. He's listed in Orvis'
endorsed guides listings
You got the jist of it. Ted and Johnny left Red's and started Troutwater with Jason from Evening Hatch. Troutwater then merged with Yakima River Fly Shop. Troutwater is now the contact point for Troutwater and Yakima River Fly Shop is now Troutwater-Cle Elum. Other then Jason none of the other Evening Hatch guides came over (Keven, Derek, Keith)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I can vouch for Derek of emergingrivers.com

I took a total newbie friend/client on a trip. Derek was incredibly patient with the guy and provided him an entire days worth of coaching. Most guys would have given up and just let him drag the bobber around. But, Derek stayed with him and made the guy an acceptable fisherman by the end of the day.

If you're taking your son - he'd benefit from Derek's ability to teach. That's why i book guides anyhow - to learn how to fish better myself in the future.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I've not yet fished the Klickitat, but I've recently been drawn repeatedly to the Yakima. I've had four fantastic fishing days with Derek Young of Emerging Rivers. On the 5th and 6th of August he guided my Father in Law and I on two stretches of the river I had not yet experienced. His professionalism is fantastic and if you find yourself headed to the Yakima you'll certainly do well contacting Derek. He gave me the information I needed and gave me the space I craved to continue to grow as a moving water trout fisherman. He was awesome with my father in law, who is a tremdously fishy older gentleman, but has trouble with tying on flies, untangling and of course is not used to fishing a summer fishery at 4200 cfs. Derek knows where to find fish and with him I've enjoyed every moment. I have had very good fly shop experience with the shops and staff assoicated with Flywater, Red's and Worley Bugger, but I've not yet had occasion to use any of them for guide service.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.