Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was curious what you thought a fair price range would be on a tip for a full day guided trip? Let's say a float down the Yakima for example.

Does it matter if there are 2 people or 1 on the trip?

What are the unwritten or written guidelines on this?

It would be interesting to also hear from any guides on the site.

Thanks,
TDub

·
Mother Nature's Son
1,347 Posts
Whenever I've used guides, I generally tip in the 15% to 20% range, just like when I go out for a meal. I base the tip that I give on the cost of the trip. I also do not base my tipping on the amount of fish that I catch but rather on the experience. Some of the slowest catching days are the days when guides work their hardest! If you take it one step further, as in the case of steelhead fishing, even a guided trip will not necessarily result in fish being caught, however, hopefully you will have learned what to do the next time you go out.

As a guide, the truth be told, there are some days when things just don't go as well as we would all like. The other thing to remember is that the guide isn't the one fishing! Much of the success is truly up to the person doing the fishing. The fishing can be excellent but if the person fishing can't cast, can't mend and/or isn't paying attention, he isn't going to catch fish and that isn't the guides fault.

Try to learn all that you can when you're out. A guide will shave time off of your learning curve but also keep in mind that one day of guided fishing does not make up for years spent on the water.

Skinny

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
I have heard outfitters tell guests that ten or twenty dollars was plenty.That leaves about 3 to 5 percent tip for the guide and more money left over in the guest's pocket for a visit to the outfitters shop or tavern, lodge etc.

I have worked for tips as part of my income on many occasions. I always leave ten to fifteen percent as a tip. If it were a week long lodge visit I would figure on ten percent of the lodge's fee as the tip. For an individual guide I would do the same: ten percent. When I go out to eat or get some other service that traditionally merits a tip, I always leave at least ten percent.

As an individual guide, self employed, I do not expect my guests to tip me in addition to their days fee. When I do get tipped it tells me that I am really appreciated, that our time on the water was something really special, worth more than the days fee.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.