Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We did some log training in moderate current doing Swiftwater rescue in 2015. Training on logs puts things into perspective VERY fast. 4 out of 6 in our group, all guys in their early to mid 20's who were in pretty good shape and raft guides, actually got pinned on the log, they couldn't swim over it the first try. Only myself and another guy managed to swim over it the first try and technique was a very important factor. The current in that video looked stronger than what I recollect we trained in. You can hear the nervous laugh on his part. Not sure if he realizes how lucky he was.......

Reactions: Alex MacDonald

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,158 Posts
having been a blue water sailor since I was about 12, I'm confused as to why these morons didn't backwind the jib, spin the boat off the wind, sheet it home, pick up some speed, tack, bring up the main-at least to the first reef points, and just sail out of harm's way! Based on what I saw in the video, these guys had absolutely NO clue how to sail!!

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,158 Posts
Here's a longer version. You can clearly see that they had plenty of sea room to get it under control, but doesn't look like any attempt was made at all to rein in their jib. The main wasn't being used (in the beginning you can see that it's partly taken in on the boom), and once they turn toward shore (portside-which is the WRONG direction to turn in this situation), you can see that the wind's just pushing her along, and that their main is not under control and secured. They have no motive power here, and she's totally at the mercy of wind and swell.

Two things could have happened: first, a catastrophic failure of her foresail reefing gear, OR-and much more likely as I view this video-a completely overwhelmed, totally inexperienced crew. I'm going for the latter.

What would I have done (I also have what's known as a "6-Pack" license)? Assuming the jib is functional, bring it under control, pick up some speed, and get the hell out of Dodge, do a "chicken jibe" bring up the main, and gain some sea room. You can see other boats in the distance, same size hull and NOT reefed on either jib or main, and not in any difficulty, so what's with these guys?? Looks to me like they just panicked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.