Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use one of those handheld GPS units to mark fishing spots? What model do you like and why? From what I can tell there is a simple kind without maps and there is a more expensive kind that can handle maps, so of which you can download. How much memory do you need to get a good mapping one? I'm just starting to look into this but I can't tell if these things are as useful as they look.

Circlespey

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
being politically correct sucks

i have one and i would have to say that unless you fish alpine lakes where you do a lot of hiking or fish in the sound where it is nice to be able to mark a pod of silvers or navigate in the fog, dont get one. they are expensive ($400+) and not much more than a fancy toy. but if you do that type of fishing (or hunting) definitely get one. they can save the day in that type of situation. another thing, if you are technologically inept, they are a pain in the arss. i still cant get all the features right and i am half genius! well, sort of...

~sean~

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
998 Posts
GARMIN E-TREX VENTURE... PROBABLY THE MOST WATERPROOF, AND IT HAS EVERYTHING I NEED. YOU CAN DOWNLOAD UPDATES TO KEEP IT CURRENT. ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SPEND.... GO TO WWW.GARMIN.COM AND GO TO THE E-TREX SECTION AND YOU CAN COMPARE ALL YOU WANT... I HAVE HAD MAGELLIN (SP?) AND GARMIN, AND TO ME, THAT IS "TO ME", GARMIN WINS HANDS DOWN. THE SIZE, FEEL IN THE HAND, EASE TO ONE HAND USE, BACKTRACK, MARKING WAYPOINTS, THE WAAS SYSTEM FOR LOCATIONS, IT SUITS ME FOR WHAT I NEED.... THEY CAN REALLY SAVE YOUR DAY FISHING A BIG LAKE WHEN ITS ROUGH AND YOU WANT TO BE RIGHT ON TOP OF A SHOAL (LAKES IN B.C.), OR MAKE SURE YOUR OVER A CREEK CHANNEL (CRANE PRARIE). SURE BEATS TRYING TO USE YOUR DEPTH FINDER AND MARKS ON LAND TO GET YOU WHERE YOU WANT TO BE.. ALSO TO GET YOU BACK TO YOUR TRUCK WHEN SEARCHING FOR NEW SPOTS ON THE OLYMPIC PENINSULA. HAVE FUN, THEY ARE A BLAST, EXPECIALLY IF YOUR A GADGET GUY...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've been using the Garmin eTrex Vista for more than a year, and I love it. I also purchased MapSource Roads & Recreation maps of the entire (lower 48). I can load maps covering all of Washington, and parts of Oregon, Idaho and Montana at the same time. These maps show very minor (dirt) roads and creeks so small that the go through culverts and dry up in the summer.

I use it when exploring new strethes of river, to find my way back to my car, and to mark the spots where I hook individual fish.

It will also give you elevation to within about 20 feet, time of day, time of sunrise, sunset, etc, etc.

Highly recommended!

Joe

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an older model Garmin GPS plus two, with no ability to download maps. It's very useful for navigating in saltwater, finding crab pots. When I'm blundering around a new river looking for access it helps to stay oriented and tell you when you're walking in circles. Be nice to have the downloadable maps.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I took a GPS class this summer in school and those things are amazing. Like mentioned above, if any backcountry outings are in your line of fishing, then they are extremely useful and beneficial. For lake and river fishing its a matter of convenience and some use them instead of keeping a journal for locations and "hot spots". As your walking along you can just hit a button and it programs that location into memory.

I am gonna look into the new one coming out (or just came out) that has a 2way radio with a tracking system built in on the screen that will show where your partner is. That would be really cool to know where you are in relation to your fishing buddies and be able to have unhindered communication for up to something like 20 miles?? They told us about it in class but I have not looked into it yet. Suppose to be about $500.00 but it does everything the highend ones do and has the built in "tracking" and communication?? Sounds really cool if you want to spend that much?

~Patrick

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've been using the Garmin eTrex Vista for more than a year, and I love it. I also purchased MapSource Roads & Recreation maps of the entire (lower 48). I can load maps covering all of Washington, and parts of Oregon, Idaho and Montana at the same time. These maps show very minor (dirt) roads and creeks so small that the go through culverts and dry up in the summer.

I use it when exploring new strethes of river, to find my way back to my car, and to mark the spots where I hook individual fish.

It will also give you elevation to within about 20 feet, time of day, time of sunrise, sunset, etc, etc.
I have the same unit and have been very pleased. I use all of the information provided by the unit for my fish log. Combined with water and air temp, river flow, cloud cover, etc., etc., I have a very complete record of every steelhead I've ever caught.

However, while I really enjoy having all this information, I'm not sure I've really benefited that much. Where the unit really has proven useful is that I am able to mark channels, pools, boulders, and other structure during times of low water that are hidden during winter's higher flows.

Over the course of this last summer, I've pretty much completely mapped the Snoqualmie river above Fall City and I'm now reaping its value. I can return to a stretch of what looks to be uninteresting water knowing that a nice rock garden channel lies within 60 ft of where I stand. Most of us would just walk by.

Cheers,

Michael

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.