Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went up to Beehive yesterday afternoon and was have a great time catching many tigers.
A fellow fly fisher in a float tube was having the same kinda time.
Warm afternoon a very light breeze and fish boiling every where.
I was getting hungry and about to leave when some young people showed up and came down to the waters edge and it looked like they were fishing with bait.
So I catch a nice 15" tiger and call it a day.
After my last encounter with poachers I walk up and take a pic of the truck and lic. plate then walk up and ask how the fishing was.
The answer was "fucked". Sorry to hear I said. Fishing with a fly has been great, I said.
Then I say, "Did ya know" and they said "No we didn't"
So I told them that the game guy checks up here pretty often and I didn't want them to get a ticket or in trouble for under age drinking.
They thanked me and I walked away picking up litter along the way.
I get about 30 yds or so and I tell'em if they hadn't put their fishing gear away by the time I leave I would call the LEO and told'em I have a pic of the truck and lic.
That is when shit hit the fan.
This kid ups up and starts telling I'm not his dad and I can f--k off and he's gonna tear me apart.
Well now, I'm scared and I hustle back to the truck and load my shot gun and get ready, cause the kids are headed for their truck.
WTF I'm I gonna do if these three attack me.
Well, they drive off in a cloud of dust.
I'm not sure my ole heart can handle this kinda thing again.
Do I not go fish there anymore or just not get involved.
Dam, I follow the rules and I expect others to do also.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tuff situation but you can feel good about doing the right thing. If I am doing something wrong I expect to be told I am and correct my actions immediately.

Get a concealed license and start packing. Get a compact pistol and keep it loaded and ready. Never know when and where you will need it. Theses days you never know. I have been carrying for a few years now.

Good job and relax. Just some punk kids that needed to be set str8. Now send that pic to the appropriate officials.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Wow.
Yeah . . . . Wow.

There needs to be some kind of recourse here. There is no way that the law enforcement guys can be everywhere. There needs to be some "citizen enforcement" capabilites that have meaning and force. It's like the WDWF needs to set up a training and registration program for volunteers that have authority to turn in photos of infraction and license plate numbers. This ought to be plenty of grounds and evidence for real action and consequence.

I'd sign up.

·
Blind hog fisherman
2,895 Posts
Gary, I'm really glad you made it out of that situation without physical injury. I never confront anyone about what they should or shouldn't do and what I'm going to do if they do or don't. I've worked professionally with a lot of men who have no qualms about hurting people with little or no provocation especially if alcohol or other drugs are involved. Some of these men like to fish. In addition, the individuals now know what your vehicle looks like and you won't be able to fish the same location without some fear of retaliation. I take a photo, make a phone call. I am not in the "cop" business. A police officer or wildlife officer will tell you to do the same thing. Keep in mind the wildlife captain on Crab Creek earlier this year that ended up in a shootout over a minor issue of no fishing license.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I hate that kind of behavior. I would just call the cops and avoid the confrontation especially if underage drinking is involved. BTW, where is Beehive Lake?
Very easy to find. I went to Washingtonlakes .com. Clicked on lakes and when the home page showed up I clicked on the lake index. It tells you where it's at and how to drive to it. It couldn't be any simpler.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Glad you're okay, Gary. I tend to avoid confrontation anymore, but I do always carry "insurance," a cell phone and a camera. I do like robl's idea, however.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Gary, you got balls of brass, take good care of one of my favorite fishing pals and look after our fisheries with an amazing vim and vigor. I'd recommend that you take your photos and just call them in. No need for you to put yourself at any undue risk. If they are ignorant of the rules they are still violating the rules. Your willingness to give them some education and chance to do what is right is admirable, but today it got the ticker up and running. There may come a day when you'll need to load then use that shotgun, that would be horribly unfortunate and I pray that it would be you standing to write about it later. I'd just perfer you took that stealth photo of the plate, called them in and were around and not frazzled about it later. Here is to you Dirty Dog, I'm cracking the top of another MGD long neck because it is what I have at hand. I'm happy to hold one high to your balls of brass and another quality fishing outing where all came home safe.

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, we all lived and learned. At least I did.
I'm figuring no more Mr. nice guy and talking to folks about what the regs are.
Just take pics and call the LEO's
Thanks for the input guys.
O'ya what OMJ said about finding lakes.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Gary, Good for you to be aware of what is happenig to our wonderful resource and trying to preserve it. I'm with Karl, Mumbles and others after encountering a similar situation on the Klickitat earlier this year. We floated the river on the last day of turkey season hoping for a bird and also scouting the river for any potential new logjams etc. We fisnished at the Ice Plant and found some illegal fishing at the boat launch. We informed the perps that the river wasn't open and we were rudely told to mind our own business. My shotgun was in the boat and I was ready to take it to my vehicle. Not knowing what they might do next, I decided to leave the gun in the boat with one hand on it and the other on the shells in my pocket. I was thinking that if I were to display the weapon, things may escalate. They left with out any problems, but you never know. After reporting the incident to enforcement authorities, I was advised not to engage violators. Get descriptions, license plates, time and location and let the men with the badges do their job. Stay safe in the field. SS

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. But glad you had a good day of fishing! Guess I'll have to get back up there now that the water's cooled back off. Sounds like some nice fishing! But still a beautiful spot to be even for the inept!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.