Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be purchasing my first two hander a Beulah 7/8 wt and scheduled
a class in skagit casting. I want a classic Hardy. Should I get the Salmon #1 or #2 ?

Joe

·
Aint no nookie like chinookie
994 Posts
Numero Dos Senior ...
I believe the weight diff is minimal, and if you get a bigger stick later, you'll have the capacity in the 2 to use it .

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Dbltaper,

If it's the 12' 7" 7/8 wt, I think the Salmon I will be a better fit. The Salmon II is a good size winch that would probably hold 200 yd of backing and two complete Spey lines for that rod. I have both reels and find I really don't use the No. II that much.

Sg

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have used both quite a bit. I'm using the 1 on a 12'6"' rod and like it. I did put 50' of lead core on it as I now tend to like my rods more reel heavier. Mostly, the smaller reel feels less bulky for me on a smaller rod. Comes down to personal preference as either would work well. For longer rods I often used some lead core on the #2.

·
"junkyard spey"
517 Posts
The #2 is a very good match on that rod.

·
Aint no nookie like chinookie
994 Posts
The weight diff between the 1 & 2
is 1.1 oz . You'd never be able to tell the diff, the 2 will be more versitile ... It comes down to what you think will be best for you-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.