Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can do this every now and then but it is quite difficult. Last time I caught a Steelhead sight fishing, I had to go back to the same hole 2 times and fish for the same half dozen fish. Took it on an olive BH Wolly Bugger.

Would anyone like to give me a testimonial so I know that I am not crazt. I know Jim Teeny can do it the same way but it seems like everyone else does the ol' cast, mend, swing, wait, step, repeat.

Lurkers please participate!

· Be the guide...
5,157 Posts
It has a lot to do with the river and the water flow\clarity. If you can't see them, you have to do the old - cast, mend, swing, step, repeat... Given the chance and the right conditions, I'm sure we'd all prefer to 'sight fish' for them. But you're right, it does take a more stealthy approach...

· Registered
206 Posts
Has Anyone Ever Caught a Steelhead Sightfishing? Yes!

Fishing to individual steelhead is great! I caught my first steelhead on the fly that way in fall of 1980, and have caught quite a few more that way since.

The last post is correct - it can be only done in the right type of water.

Jim Teeny is the best I have ever seen at this type of fishing, and I have had the privilege to flyfish with some incredibly skilled guys.
His video that he put out a few years ago is excellent as far as teaching you how to do this type of fishing. I can't remember the name - I wore out my copy watching it, but his motto is "If you spot 'em, you got 'em!" Well worth buying - if just for the vicarious thrill. I have fished a lot of the water in the video and it is as good as the video portrays.

Good luck!
:THUMBSUP

· Registered
1,135 Posts
I've done it several times in quiet pools on the Sauk and Skagit with black woolly buggers, rabbit strip leeches, and my own size 10 beadhead. I normally don't fish for steelhead much but if I see them in a pool, I can't resist.

Randy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.