·
Skunk Happens
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Skunk Happens
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really good at leaving things out... As I understand it, the Harriman's gave the land to Idaho with the restriction that it be professionally managed by a state parks department, and that is when Idaho's state parks department was formed. If it's not managed by the state, the land reverts to the Harrimans. However, active conservation and other group participation wouldn't hurt. Since it's an "Idaho" issue, us non-residents don't count for much (directly).

·
Formerly FlyCatcherman, formerly Don_The_Fly
105 Posts
I know the history and goelogy of the "railroad ranch" quite well. I spent my youth in Island park and am especially fond of the Last Chance and Harriman part of the park and go back when ever I can. It is such a shame as to how politicians manage the resources (land and fish) to which they are entrusted.
I cannot begin to explain the magic of standing knee deep in Henry's Fork watching wild trout sipping emergers from the surface. The part of the river that runs through Harriman is a slow meandering section of the river below Island Park resevoir so it is much like the spring creek that it is. The river actually emerges from the mountainside at Big Springs and empties in to the Island Park resevoir. From there through Box Canyon, Last Chance and then through Harriman.
One of my most magical fly fishing experiences was on that part of the river. I watched a very large rainbow sucking up hoppers next to the bank. I could hear the slurp as she sucked in the hoppers. I targeted that fish and after about twenty minutes brought her to hand. She was a beatiful hen at about 22" and almost that big in the girth. The day was one I'll never forget. It would be an absolute shame to lose that part of the river. But alas, how many different fisheries have we lost or have been compromised in the Northwest through mismanagement?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I got this email from Bud Lilly:

Anglers - Harriman State Park and it's world famous "Railroad Ranch" are in danger of being closed to the public. The Idaho State of the State and Budget Address calls to close this and all other Idaho State Parks by 2011. To sign a petition asking Idaho's Governor Otter to keep the Parks and Recreation Department and the Railroad Ranch, go to: www.saveidahoparks.com Your help and electronic signature is needed to keep this wilderness and fishing treasure available to every angler. Thank you.

Greg

·
Registered
148 Posts
I guided the Henry's Fork for years and although I haven't been there for a while,this is a sad situation and has some stink to it. While I was there we stopped a japenese development company from building condos and a golf golf course in last chance. I have to wonder if theres an alterior motive here?I have seen hundreds of flyfisherman sitting on the banks watching gulpers or someone going after one.It is truly one of the few truly AAA stretches of trout water left in the world. Just as flycatcherman said,my fondest memories are on that section. I hope theres still as many people as there used to be that won't let this happen!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I guided the Henry's Fork for years and although I haven't been there for a while,this is a sad situation and has some stink to it. While I was there we stopped a japenese development company from building condos and a golf golf course in last chance. I have to wonder if theres an alterior motive here?I have seen hundreds of flyfisherman sitting on the banks watching gulpers or someone going after one.It is truly one of the few truly AAA stretches of trout water left in the world. Just as flycatcherman said,my fondest memories are on that section. I hope theres still as many people as there used to be that won't let this happen!
While I wouldn't put it past our governor, I don't think that is the case. The complete dissolution of out Parks & Rec Dept is tragic even without the loss of Harriman. But the loss of Harriman has been a rallying point for sportsmen to really get involved in opposing this cut. We're doing our best to push awareness of the issue, and results are encouraging. The papers have all had features in the last 2 weeks, and its garnering national attention from fly fishermen. Moldy Chum and MidCurrent have both posted links to Idaho papers, furthering awareness.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We live in Island Park during the summer months and Harriman is a resource which should never be developed. If the governor has his way, who knows what will happen. They already charge a daily fee for access to the park so it seems strange they can't figure out a way to pay for the park maintenance and keep the park open. Fishing in that section of the river has been improving the last few years with increased flows out of Island Park Reservoir during the winter months. Everyone should email the governor even though you are not a resident of the state. So much of Island Park's money comes from tourists, so it is vital for the area, to keep Harriman to open.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You know, just when you don't think our politicians here in Washington could not be any more moronic, California and Idaho prove it could be much worse. I recently moved back here after living in Idaho for ten years. Harriman Park and the City of Rocks are two of the real treasures of the state, and now they're talking about just ditching them? Brilliant!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The parks service is just another poorly managed government entity built on the philosophy of entitlement not results...I say privatize some of the parks management and see what happens when something is run like a business not like a tax write off…it seems like every year our access/rights slip away and taxes go up to “manage”… the government can't even run the postal service…

·
Registered
93 Posts
Some politicians won't be happy until every scrap of land in the country is privatized and developed and ultimately destroyed.

This is the same governor who said in defense of his policy of eradicating wolves from the state "You can still hate them [wolves] and respect their cunning and their place in nature."

This man cannot be trusted to oversee public lands and resources in the interest of the people who own them; the citizens of Idaho.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.