Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the trip overall was awesome....but Delta airline sucks and fishing was not much better :-(

First the airline lost my rod for the first two days and did nothing to assist me in the matter....and of course murphys law worked perfect === the two days I didnt have my rod consisted of absolutely no wind and perfect surf....the days following the return of my rod consisted of 30+ mph winds every minute of the day :bawling :bawling :bawling . I did get to fish one morning but it was soooo windy that I looked like a monkey and a football }(

FYI to all who plan on visitng Hawaii: Nervous waters flyfishing shop in Honolulu is an awesome place for help of any nature and information, no matter what island :thumb :thumb

Good to be back and ready to hit some freshwater...any latest info for the local waters???

~Patrick ><>

· Registered
156 Posts
Bummer--well I hope you at least got a tan so you can show up all of us pale Washingtonians. The question is did you touch any fish? Iam sure you had your dark glasses on while you were scoping,I mean fishing the beaches.

You might want to try dredgers creek, just an idea.

better luck to you in the homeland,

Mcronariver

· Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was on Maui...beautiful island without any doubt :thumb . The best suggestion I can give you is to contact Nervous Water fly shop in Honolulu Hawaii. These guys are awesome. I also heard about the freshwater you speak of and from what I heard you need to obtain permits for this fishing?? But do contact nervous waters as they will be able to shed more light on EVERYTHING over there.

4 piece derfinately!!!! do not check it in no matter what you do. I will never travel with a 2 piece again in my life. A 4 piece is a must in my opinion...that way you can carry it on with you and have absolutely no worries during the flight ;)

If you need, contact me and I will try and get the Nervous Waters contact information, but I think you could just do a search on the web and you will find it?? Let me know??

~Patrick ><>

· Registered
229 Posts
Back a few years I went to Kauai and brought along a little telescopic spinning rod and tried it out at the north end of the island. I caught a three foot long trumpet fish that looked like a big stick and fought only a little better. Last time I tried to catch the elusive tucunare, or peacock bass that they have planted in a few reservoirs, without success. When I go in April, I'm going to leave the fishing paraphernalia behind and enjoy the sun, beach and snorkeling.
aaron j

· Brian Perry
733 Posts
Hawaiian Fly fishing can be a fantastic experience after living on Maui for 3 years, I learned this: The #1 rule is DO NOT ATTEMPT fly fishing after 12 noon. The trade winds pick up like clockwork then. Almost every morning is calm as can be. Evenings can be good too. Find the points of the bays where the lava juts out.. the best places are where the coral reefs meet the sand. You can hook into some nice Crevalle and Yellowfin Tuna (only in the late evenings/early mornings) out there.... guaranteed to take your fly rod for a ride! Papio (small Ulua are the best to catch!!! GREAT eating BTW.... for good beer drinking shore sport fishing... get the biggest pole you can find.. attach a 6-10oz lead weight and huck it or swim it out as far as you can, then slide bait with squid and octopus, attach a bell to the top of your pole and see how many beers you can consume and ribs you can eat... you now have an opportunity to catch a 60-125lb fish from the shore! THE INFAMOUS "POLE BENDA".. the ULUA!

28 Posts
All kinds of flyfishing oportunities exist on Kauai:) Lived over there for 4 years. Saltwater (never tried it), Freshwater (many species). Smallmouth bass inhabit many of the streams (freshwater prawns too). Do not recall the real name, waterfall walker. Has a sucker on both ends and can climb rocks, an island delicacy. If you venture to Kokee a pleasant surprise awaits you. Many of the streams in the Alakai Swamp area contain Rainbow Trout. State record was caught on this island and is on display at the Kokee Lodge. Hope the info helps. Enjoy you trip:thumb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.