Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be spending three days in Honolulu over Thanksgiving. Are there any fly fishing opportunities? I'm more interested in exploring the shoreline with my trout gear than going out on a boat.

Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Joe,

I grew up on Hawaii, but I didn't start fly fishing until I moved to Seattle. I think the o'ama season is already long gone. The o'ama are basically little bait fish that come into bays and shallower sandy bottom areas. That season also attracts a lot of other fish. If you can, I would look into possibly heading to one of the outer islands. Oahu is the most populated island and also the most fished. Like here, a river that doesn't see as much pressure is likely to have more opportunity. There are bonefish, or o'io, available. I have heard that flyfishing for them is catching on, but I have not tried it. Also, the north and east shores of most of the islands start getting pounded by occasional high surf starting in late November and that can last until spring. Have fun either way and I am sure the weather will be a lot warmer than it will be here!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Joe,

There are shore fly fishing opportunities in Hawaii. I was there last spring and got a chance to do a little on Maui. We did catch some fish including one nice trevally. We didn't really fish much though as we were there for my wedding. Anyway, contact the guys at Nervous Waters fly shop in Honolulu. Even though we weren't going to thier island they were still very helpful with areas to fish and fly selection. Sounds like they do a lot more bone fishing on Oahu than I ever knew. Good luck!

CC

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have only fished Kona with 130# test and a harness strapped to my body for 8 hours - BUT you might see if you can get cheap local deal on a boat to take you out for the little tuna guys- bonito, albacore etc (not sure exact species)

We caught these for bait, and I kept thinking after 8 fishless marlin hours that I should have brought my fly rod and fished for the bonito...

7 weight rod, a few epoxy flies and a bucket of live bait = hours of fun - they fightlike pit bulls straight down and you will need to ice your wrist when you get back.

Did this after dorado (mahi-mahi) fishing in Cabo since we had time and bait left - even got and extra dorado while chumming and drifting the current. I do recommend a 10 wt for dorado..not sure if they are in season there.

have fun!

Jim W

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you make it to Kauai, there is fly-fishing for rainbow trout in the Kokee state park above Waimea canyon. The season is short, and I believe it is in September, but I could be wrong.

That would make for a pretty nice day. Rainforest hike in the morning. Mid-day tropical trout fishing and an evening of snorkeling to a sunset. Not bad. I hope to try it someday!

- Tom

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
I lived on Oahu from '66 to '79, and didn't do much fishing, since I was always surfing, bodysurfing, or diving. For the first five years there, we lived waterfront out near Hawaii Kai on Portlock Rd. I would sometimes cast white feathered jigs with light spinning gear in the shallow waters inside the reef and catch Papio (small Ulua) and the occasional small Baracuda. Flies would have worked. Once, while checking the surf at Maile, on Oahu's West side, I witnessed a local fisherman land a huge bonefish, at least 10 or 12 lbs. Oahu is very crowded and has no doubt undergone alot of changes since I last visited in '86. It is usually breezy with prevailing NE tradewinds, but there is often "Kona" weather with light winds at this time of year. I would follow the suggestion to inquire at the (?)"nervous waters fly shop" for best places to go. Don't take anything valuable to the beach with you that you can't keep in your possession at all times, or it WILL be stolen as soon as you turn your head. The locals are proud to carry on a tradition that started long before the Hawaiians were diving under Capt. Cooke's boat to pry the nails from the hull, probably to fashion into fishhooks. They got at least half a dozen of my surf sticks, a couple stereos, a toyota corona, my favorite Ravi Shankar/Ali Akbar Khan L.P. ("Two Ragas"), and all sorts of miscellany in the countless times I was "hit." Still, I love Hawaii and its people, who for the most part are friendly and generous. Its just that most "rich"(compared to the theives that work the beaches, you are rich because you can afford to take a vacation in Hawaii)haole tourists aren't gonna fly back to testify in court over a stolen camera, if by some miracle the H.P.D. recovers it or nabs the theif(never happens). Read Hunter S. Thompson's "The Curse of Lono" for a gonzo perspective. Counterbalance that with Gavin Daw's "Shoal of Time." I'll leave you with a "tiki" ...:ANGRY -Jimbo

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Does anyone have any idea about the late march timeframe as I will be going to Maui and was wondering if I should bring my 8wt with me?? I think it would be a blast to catch something while I was down there but for some reason just dont think it would happen. I have never fished an ocean and would have no clue what/where to go??

~Patrick

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am not sure if there are any kinds of regulations out there, but the reefs are packed with a ton of fish. These reef fish would take anything off the top of the surface or sinking, they are definitely not picky. You have to remember, these fish eat frozen corn and peas that snorkelers feed them!

I would tie up some popper-type flies and some hot pink, green, yellow, orange, etc.

You will catch a ton of fish with a lot more color than the typical Washington rainbow! Bring an ID card.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You should definitely bring your flyrod. We were there earlier this year, and although we didn't fish a lot, we caught a couple of fish including a Barred Travally that pulled like hell. We basically fished right out in front of our condo and caught them on a pink Gotcha stripped fairly fast.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I found a website for a guide in Maui and emailed him a short email asking if fly fishing was possible and where/how to go about it?? This guide was unbelievable as he replied with two emails, both jam packed full of information and even other contacts for flyfishing. His name is Captain Mike Crawford and his website is http://www.fishmaui.com. He seems to be a very genuine individual. If you want I can forward his response emails to you??

~Patrick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.