Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
It seems that the Bill would have little affect if Oregon doesn't have a similar law. I am not familiar with Oregon law and maybe they aready have such a law. Really don't know how effective it would be unless they limited the amount of permits and methods of fishing and limit the season and take. Also wonder how effective it would be if the Native Americans could still harvest fish in any manner they choose and if they don't agree to cut back on their percentage of the runs. Sometimes legislation looks good but it still is the same o stuff.

·
Piscatorial Engineer
1,229 Posts
The bill, although seriously flawed, is the first time in years that selective harvest has been put front and center. The bill would have allowed for an additional permit only fishery on top of existing commercial fisheries, which is one significant flaw. Still, bringing selective harvest gear into the discussion was the key element, and discussion of selective harvest by all fishers was supported broadly across most who testified. The bill's prime sponsor recognized the divisiveness of his bill as written, and agreed to not move it in favor of initiating the talks. This is a major step forward, and it appears that the end of gillnetting is within sight. It is widely recognized that it is a question of when, not if, that commercial harvest will be by selective gear and methods. CCA has done the heavy lifting, but it is not an issue of credit or recognition, it is a question of results, and this clearly demonstrates a positive result. It also shows significant movement in the direction of what the Oregon intiative seeks to address - the end of non selective gear, and protecting wild fish. If things continue in this vein, WA will not have to resort to the initiative petition route.

The room was filled with CCA members, and some who also signed in as PSA members to show the broad support across the recreational community for protecting wild fish, and taking steps toward recovery.

You can listen to the hearing and testimony on TVW - http://www.tvw.org/media/mediaplayer.cfm?evid=2010011198&TYPE=V&CFID=4272330&CFTOKEN=77386154&bhcp=1 - and the 2696 hearing starts at about 22 min. into the video.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this morning's oregonian had an interesting article regarding the movement in that state:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...f/2010/01/bill_monroe_does_ccas_bet_in_g.html

i can see that my feelings of CCA ploding along are a shared perception. i would hate to think that folks in WA really believe that the legislature is actually going to do something regarding the goose that laid their golden eggs. hopefully, CCA-WA may have learned from the oregon experience that action, and only action, is going to keep the troops together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.