Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
4x super strong Orvis tippet about 9-10 feet with a 12-14 weighted olive scud stuck to the sandy bottom part before the fish come through the area...then twitch the stupid little scud ;) :7

have fun!!!

idea: I have a theory that you should try if you get a chance...bring a sink tip and cast to the "channel" below the metal foot bridge and try to get the REALLY big ones to take using sinktip ??? I can never get down fast enough but I want to try this idea next time I get out there??

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Headin to the Ford...Survey: Fluorcarbon Brand and ...

Only messing with my buds. I use mono leader, say 9 foot 5x, with a flouro tipper of 2 or 3 feet. I use the Dan Bailey stuff mainly cause it's cheap at Outdoor Emporium. I've tried the SeaGur(sp?) tippet and didn't like it, and it's way expensive. Best bang for your buck? Rio. hope that helps. Scuds on the bottom is a good way to go! Give it a whirl and see what happens! :professor YT

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
What I meant to type was Maxima 18 lb ultragreen, ultralimp, ultraflex, ultrahardcore line with a 12 inch black bunny leech stripped at roughly 15 mph from the shore side that only consists of 22 foot tall cat tails and has a barbed wire barrier you need to cast through before you reach the water...thats how true team rugged founding members fish the ford :professor }(

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
50 Posts

I had pretty good luck last Friday at Rocky Ford. 9 fish and lost several on size 12 black Marabeau leech. I use sinktip with about 12' of leader - 5x the last 4ft.. of Umpqua mono.. The secret is cast long, I said long, get it to the bottom and retreive very slowly. The hook ups are very soft, but the reaction when you do, is great!.

There are some small fish in there right now, so if you hook up on one, don't give up, because the next one will rip you! I always fish the upper pond area above the riffle which is directly below the second rest area.

While I am on here, I went to Bobbie Lake (upper Nunnley) on Tuesday. It is very protected in there and made for some fine Chronomid fishing. Landed 6, but lost over a dozen others. I' m not very good at setting the hook when it is 4' below a strike indicator, but they were sure after it. I was using a Brassie part of the time and it was good, also.

Al:professor

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

Not me, I off to the Juans for some beach angling. Have fun with the crowds. With the Yak looking like it's going to be blown out, The masses will be at the ford. Good luck!:rolleyes YT:smokin

·
Registered
177 Posts
I use a SA 9 ft 4x (5lb) leader with another 2 ft or so of 4x or 5x tippet. This setup isnt so hot when the winds blowin tho. I tend to get knots in my tippet. So im gonna try a shorter leader this time. Im gonna be there tomorrow night and most of the day saturday.

Tyler

Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

·
Registered
174 Posts

Hey ******,
Where in the San Juans are you going? I might be on Lopez next week sometime. What will you be fishing for? I wasn't on bringing my rod, but I will have access to a kayak so who knows. By the way that 509 spot we met at has water and fish in it now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.