Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and I are heading to Smithers next week for little road trip fun and fishing. This is my first time up there and i'm pretty excited to just go experience it. We will be taking our 9' pontoons to open up more water. I was planning on stopping by one of the local flyshops to get info or a map on launch points etc, but I wanted to check with some of you seasoned BC vets about shuttles and any other helpful information? My understanding is there isn't a dedicated shuttle service? I can hitchhike but that is never a sure thing.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
Beg to disagree Charles; from Wiki:
"Thirteen of the nineteen victims were teenagers while ten out of the nineteen victims were women of aboriginal descent."
I wouldn't worry about it much but I certainly wouldn't leave her at a boat launch or other semi-remote location by herself.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Touche' Mr. Engleheart

The truly awful thing is that there are probably many more aboriginal women that are not listed. The convenience stores have these terribly heart breaking postings of missing natives, men and women alike.

In my time up there, I have never felt threatened at all. I am however, a large white man.

Go Sox,
cds

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
Touche' Mr. Engleheart

The truly awful thing is that there are probably many more aboriginal women that are not listed. The convenience stores have these terribly heart breaking postings of missing natives, men and women alike.

In my time up there, I have never felt threatened at all. I am however, a large white man.

Go Sox,
cds
You are likely correct, I just passed through there with my Grandson and my daughter made me aware of the issues. What a travesty that such a nice area (and people) can be held hostage by scum like this. Sometimes I just feel ashamed to be male. When I lived in Alaska one always picked up hitchikers until two events happened:
  1. An older guy picked someone up who beat him senseless with a wrench, threw him out in a snowbank and left him in 0 degree weather; he survived.
  2. A guy picked up a couple, offered them jobs helping him build a house he was working on; they killed him and burned him, stole his car.
Last time there I can't recall seeing any.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Are there safe stretches to float with 9' pontoons for someone who doesn't know the area? Just throwing that out there too. Maybe park and hike fishing would be safer for a first time. No floating unfamiliar waters. No shuttles or hitchhiking. I don't know the area, and haven't researched it, but this would be my approach if a guide wasn't available. Maybe I'm just not adventurous enough!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are there safe stretches to float with 9' pontoons for someone who doesn't know the area? Just throwing that out there too. Maybe park and hike fishing would be safer for a first time. No floating unfamiliar waters. No shuttles or hitchhiking. I don't know the area, and haven't researched it, but this would be my approach if a guide wasn't available. Maybe I'm just not adventurous enough!
Having never been there I agree but generally I hear the stretches above and at town are pretty tame. We ended up renting a car up there for a second vehicle to do the shuttle. We'll swing by the flyshop in town to get some flies and info. Should be a fun trip, fish or not :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.