Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old Petzl headlamp is finally out of commission. I'm thinking about getting something with an LED bulb for longer battery life. Anyone have one? Please give a review.

Also, any leads on where to get one cheap in the Seattle area would be great. I'd like to pick one up before heading over the mountains this weekend.

Thanks
Rod

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a smaller Peltz with three LED lights in it and I really do enjoy packing it around more than a larger one. I picked mine up for around 30 bucks or so. I don't have any complaints about mine what-so-ever. I imagine that you could get one at REI?

Good Luck

·
Registered
216 Posts
Petzl Tikka -- very lightweight and comfortable, with plenty of light beaming from its LED. It won an Editors' Choice award from Backpacker Magazine a couple years back. REI has 'em for something like $29.

Petzl also has an even lighter one out this year -- the Zipka. I haven't used one yet.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have an LED one I picked up on sale at REI (Petzl Tikka). The thing is great. I've had it for a year and no problems with it at all. It is incredibly bright especially compared to the older bulb versions. I have no problems threading small hooks with it on. Get one if you can, you'll enjoy it.

I noticed the REIoutlet.com has an LED headlamp on sale. I'm not sure how quickly you can get it though.

Pete

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
I'll fourth the LED. I have the Black Diamond, 4 light from REI. It is condiserably lighter than the older incandescent light I had, which had a heavy battery. I did note that the LED light diffuses a little quicker and seems to have a blue hue. The incandescent had a longer beam, but the battery life for the LED is a big trade off.
Three AAA's over two years and I haven't changed them yet.

It also comes in handy for those honey do's or under the car.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Ask a climber which headlamp he/she uses for actual climbing and they will vote for the Petzl Arctic or Zoom but for trail hiking or doodling around camp the Tikka is the best.
I can't imagine why a flyfisherman would need a brighter lamp unless you were trying to fish at night in the summer during the caddis hatches. Then you should get the zoom and row the Yakima. Have the rower shine the light while you cast. You just need enough to see the rings.

...so I hear.

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
The headlamp I use is not LED but for $10 the price was right even came with an extra bulb. I picked it up at Radio Shack while heading out one trip out to Rattlesnake for some evening fishing and have been using it ever since. The batteries lasted for about a dozen trips so far and I have not used the extra bulb it came with yet.The beam is adjustable and moves up and down. Just an option for some of us on a buget. Just get the batteries elsewhere they want to much for their junk batteries they sell.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Ditto on the Petzel Tikka. I use a princeton Tec headlight for surf fishing at night back east, but it is only for emergencies and very bright. The Tikka LED will be very helpful. I am very happy with it for camping, hiking and fishing. Light and good colored light from the LED. And the batteries last.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Harbor Freight Salvage has a pair of glasses that magnify the fly very nicely and mine have small lights on each side of the frames. There is also this quarter sized, big-time magnifyer that pivots into place if needed. Cheap, plastic, light, but effective, it costs about $19.99.
Tell 'em Bob sent ya.' I get a cut.
Bob:thumb

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have the LED Princeton Tec Aurora, which is adjustable. I used it almost everynight this summer, in my travels across the US and Alaska, I still have the set of batteries in there that it came with. It is cheap, durable, and best of all, completely waterproof. I highly recommend it.

Pete

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I almost never fish at night. Too many bugs and other critters out there to scare the bejebbers out of me. But a head light might just be the cure. :thumb

Jim

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for your insight. The Princeton Tec Aurora is available at rei-outlet.com for $23. Can't pass that up.

Bob - if someone approached me in the dark with those glasses on, I would immediately surrender the water I was fishing. I'm picturing a cross between E.T. and the Blair Witch . . . .

:eek
Rod

G

·
While you are at it, check out the new Petzl Myo. It has the best of both worlds, 3 LEDs and a bright Halogen. I've got one and i love it. Nice LEDs for most times and a super bright light for finding the way home in bad conditions. If you make it to Spokane, Mountain Gear has them and quite a few others as well.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Rod- You fill me with hope and courage. I am going to try to frigthen off a few nighties with my glasses. I am trying to locate a flashing blue and red light for my hat. Figure I might pass myself off as a game cop with an attitude (or do they all have an attitude?).
Bob:thumb

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I second that motion of the ET site... :eek :eek Thats probably Bobs motive behind the scheme, to gain access to new waters by scaring the crap out of people ;-)

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm thinking of tubing at night in BC week after next. We've always been chased off the lakes before dark and this time of year the big fish can be just waking up (I caught my biggest cutty ever 24 1/2", on Alta Lake in Whistler blasting back to the dock in complete darkness, trailing a big stickeback streamer). I'd like a couple headlamps and what I have is cheap and I don't like it. Any suggestions for an LED, swivels down, dimmable if possible? And from an online store that doesn't take their sweet old time shipping stuff (I'm looking at you, Bass Pro).

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I'm thinking of tubing at night in BC week after next. We've always been chased off the lakes before dark and this time of year the big fish can be just waking up (I caught my biggest cutty ever 24 1/2", on Alta Lake in Whistler blasting back to the dock in complete darkness, trailing a big stickeback streamer). I'd like a couple headlamps and what I have is cheap and I don't like it. Any suggestions for an LED, swivels down, dimmable if possible? And from an online store that doesn't take their sweet old time shipping stuff (I'm looking at you, Bass Pro).
Petzl Tikka 12 years later still gets my vote.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.