Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bird Dogs and Fly Rods
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this article on salmon poisoning... scary stuff for those of us who fish and hunt in areas with salmon around. Had never heard of this, but good to know about. My lab is a notorious fish finder and "roller". Gonna keep a close eye on her on the Columbia and the Sound.
http://www.hollywoodpet.com/spd.htm

·
Banned
82 Posts
thanks. i've had 2 labs an not any problems but my new pup at 6 months was picking on a fresh dead salmon on the sky a few days ago. i'm flat broke or i would take her in for blood work. i'll keep an eye on her and think i'll call the vet anyway. Maybe they'll work somethink out with me.Thanks again for the update

·
Registered
844 Posts
Salmon poisoning is definitely a real threat, but it's important the note that not all salmon are infected with the bacteria. I don't know what % that are infected, but just because your dog comes in contact with salmon doesn't mean he's going to get sick. Also, trout can also carry the bacteria/worm/whatever it is.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
This can be a very real problem with life time consequences. Several years ago I had a lab that got into some "bad" fish. He developed symptoms similar to epilepsy. Not good. Until the day he died, nearly 11 years later I had to medicate him. If he wouldn't have been a good retriever and just a funny dog too, I would have put him down.

I learned the hard and expensive way that dogs and fish don't go together! Never again did I take a dog with me while fishing.

Dave

·
Registered
722 Posts
I believe that is way they are called hunting dogs. I've seen way too many catastrophes with fishing dogs, from treble hooks in the roof of the mouth to drift boats flipped in wind gusts by a dog on the wrong side of the boat at the wrong time. SS

·
Registered
8 Posts
While salmon poisoning disease is extraordinarily dangerous if left untreated, the use of antiobiotcs to treat the offending bacteria and antiparasitic agents for the fluke host result in a quick (~2 day) recovery for a majority of dogs. Just make sure you tell your vet if your dog got into fish and is now acting differently. There was a suspected outbreak a few years ago in salmon dog treats but I believe it was disproven. Doesn't seem likely that the organisms survived that long outside of the host. Scary stuff, though.

Johannes

·
Bird Dogs and Fly Rods
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anybody know if any other species besides salmon and trout can carry the parasite? I haven't seen anything in a google search on that angle but would be interested to know. It's tough to keep them away from any kind of fish.. my lab seems to think of it as Chanel No. 5 and takes great pleasure in rolling in any and all fish, crabs, etc. she can find. Since I live near the beach I frequently find sculpins, sand dabs and various shellfish in my driveway that the sea gulls and crows like to leave behind. Perfume from the sky for my dog!

·
Newb seeking wisdom
726 Posts
I think the fish acquire this fluke in freshwater.
My understanding is saltwater fish do not pose the same threat.
And it's blood-born...no flesh.
Hope I'm not mis-informing....somebody pipe up here if I am.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.