Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a Marryat MR7 fly reel (used). I am new to the sport, so bear with me.

It appears that this fly reel has a silent drag and click retrieve. Is that correct? Can I switch it to a click drag? Also, how to I switch from a left-hand to a right-hand retrieve?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

·
Love vintage graphite!
1,125 Posts
Nice reel, but complicated. I wouldn't even begin to try to explain it, but, if you PM me your address I will send you a photocopy of the instructions.

Or, you can send it to Bill Archuleta of Archuleta Reel Works down in Oregon and have him do it. He is the Marryat service rep for the US.

www.archuletasreelworks.com

Lonnie

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
I've owned the Marryat CMR, and it was silent retrieve and a softer outgoing click. The clicker was strictly a noise-maker with no functional value. You can't make the retrieve click. It is always silent.

BTW, here is the US distributor's website: http://www.anglersportgroup.com/products_subcat.asp?CatID=9

Here is a guy in the US who is Marryat's official service person. Bill is excellent (with all reel makes, not just Marryat): http://archuletasreelworks.com/

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Best advice I ever had on Marryat reels was to hold it over a large salad bowl if you're taking it apart; many, many small parts.
For years now, whenever I disassemble something from which escaping parts, flying springs, ball-detents, etc are a possibility (especially when disassembling a "first-time-experience" item) . . . I do so inside of a clear plastic bag large enough to accomodate the target object & my hands. Haven't wasted hours crawling around on the floor searching for errant gun parts or had to order replacements since. Virtually foolproof . . . I used to employ the bowl technique, but things can still bounce & vanish. Taking a digital photo or two prior to the actual removal of the internals can also pay dividends. The bag has also cut down on my cussing . . .

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I recently got a Marryat MR7 fly reel (used). I am new to the sport, so bear with me.

It appears that this fly reel has a silent drag and click retrieve. Is that correct? Can I switch it to a click drag? Also, how to I switch from a left-hand to a right-hand retrieve?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
I have about a half dozen of them, you can set them up to click on the retrieve or outgoing. They are great trout reels with better than average corrosion for salt water. Let me know if you want to get rid of them or trade for something different.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have about a half dozen of them, you can set them up to click on the retrieve or outgoing. They are great trout reels with better than average corrosion for salt water. Let me know if you want to get rid of them or trade for something different.....
Thanks, but the reel is beautiful and I have a new 3 weight that it would be perfect for . I just need to figure out how to set it up so that I can reel with my left hand

·
Registered
3 Posts
I spoke with Bill Archuleta of Archuleta's Reel Works, who is the US maintenance rep for Marryat. It turns out that it is simple to change the reel to right hand wind if you know how-a 30 second project-and he guided me through it. But it certainly is not obvious if you don't know how.

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
998 Posts
A silent out going drag when a fish is running hard is nowhere near silent. Your reel may not be making any noise, but the line going out through the guides is a lot louder than you would think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.