Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if I spelled that right . . .anyway, the ferrule of my 2-pc 6wt GL3 won't come apart. It got jammed falling off the cab of a pickup with the reel still on it . . .must have landed right on the butt of the rod. Any advice on how to make it a 2-piece again?

Thanks,
Rod
:bawling

· Registered
131 Posts
Rod,

Try spraying a small amount of WD-40 on end of the ferrule then pour some hot water on the tip section of the ferrule only. You may even want to wrap a cold towel around the butt section. The idea is to keep the butt cold and heat the tip section as much as possible without damaging it. A lot of times the difference in temperature will create a small void that will suck up the WD-40 through capillary action. Then you can try separate the two pieces the way you normally would. Hopefully this will work. I have done it a couple of times on other rods that have been stuck.

Good luck

Bill Z

· Slainte
6,627 Posts
Try twisting while pulling apart, firmly and abruptly. If that doesn't work, carefully apply heat, (hair dryer) to the "female" or top portion of the rod at the ferrule. Do not apply a lot of heat just enough to "warm" it as if it were sitting in full sunshine.

Good luck...

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

· Registered
911 Posts
I always use "ferrule pullers", which are simply small sections of rubber to improve your grip. Grocery stores sell these for twisting lids off of jars - very cheap and you can cut them up. I carry them in my vest and the waist pack I use for beach fishing. It's amazing how a better grip helps pull apart a stuck ferrule.

I use these for nickle-silver ferrules on bamboo rods, but I'm sure they'd help on graphite as well.

Some other techniques are to grasp the sections behind your knees and then use your legs to pull the ferrules apart, and getting a partner.

I'd try all of the above before using heat, which could damage the rod.

Tom

· Registered
805 Posts
here's the ace trick - grab one side in left hand, then put the sections behind your knees iwht yoru knees together, grab with right hand and then slowly spread your legs apart - the pressure your legs apply is much much greater than your arms, and you are less likely to snap the rod since the pressure is more consitent. If you loose your grip use rubber gloves or rubber bands.

Jim W

· Registered
196 Posts
Can't add much to what been offered so far, but here is a thought for how to avoid this in the future. One day as I was preparing to hike into an unamed lake in the foothills I struck up a conversation with 2 other ff at the gate. THey had float tubes etc and were obviously headed off for the same purpose. After a little chitchat they said "Hey, why don't you join us, were off to our secret spot". So off I went with them. When we arrived at the spot after a ferocious bushwack we start to done waders, inflate tubes, etc. As both the gents started to assembled their rods they would rub the ends of the sections on that greasy part of their noses just outside the nostrils, then insert the tip into the next rod section. Next time I went fishing quess what, I started to do it and now it's a habit. Rods come apart easily at the end of the day. Oh, and their secret spot was dynamite! Every time I put my rod together now I think of that day.

· Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,770 Posts
Rod, try cooling both parts of the stuck ferrule in an ice cold water bath,BUT DO NOT PUT YOUR ROD ON ICE OR FREEZE IT!, then try slipping them apart. If it's not working then cool it all off again and then rub your CLEAN DRY FINGERS very hard along the length of the surface of the outside of the stuck ferrule, you should rub fast enough and hard enough to QUICKLY create an amount of friction that burns your skin it's so hot. Then immediately try again to slip the thing apart. If not then just have a nice trip and at the end of the vacation just break the damned thing over your knee and send it to the fctory before you fly home. Hope it works out. Bob

· resident lurker
131 Posts
i'm a couple days late on this post, but another tip to prevent the stuck-ferrule-syndrome is to carry a small bit of wax (preferrably a hard wax like paraffin-sp?)and rub a bit on the end before you put the rod together. i forget where i got this from (some book or other), but it works pretty well.

The "ferrule pullers" (aka Jar Openers) TomB was talking about work pretty well, too. i carry them all the time now. got tired of bending my 9' 5wt to fit inside of my Tercel until i got home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.