Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a suggestion what type of fly line to use.
Rod- tfo finesse
8'9
5 weight
medium action
It will be strictly for sub surface small to medium waters. I will be throwing nymphs with 1 or 2 splitshot

60 Posts
You'll want to check out the new Rio Indicator Taper or Sage Nymph Taper. They are specifically manufactured for two nymph rigs, indicators and split shot. I haven't cast that rod but if it's really soft those lines might be a bit heavy on it so you might want to go with a Rio Grand or Mastery GPX as they are built half a line weight heavier than AFFTA standards so they will throw bigger stuff but might not overload the rod.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have been happy with cortland 444SL and have used them with my 2 wt. 5 wt. and 7 wt. rods for over 15-years. I recently borrowed a friends Rio Atlantic Salmon line on my 7 wt. and I'm sold on it. I would not buy a another line until I've tried out the new Rio lines. The new Indicator Taper should be perfect for what you want. They are specifically manufactured for two nymph rigs, indicators and split shot.

·
Just swimming around, chasing fish in Beervana
65 Posts
Rio Salmon/Steelhead taper. Roll casts like a mofo. If you've got the backbone in your rod, make it a six weight line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the quick responses. I will be getting the rod and line a few days. I'm tired of using my friends. Mine became a casualty of PAs wonderful winter. I'll post what I decide on and how it works. Maybe some snow will melt before then.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I need a suggestion what type of fly line to use.
Rod- tfo finesse
8'9
5 weight
medium action
It will be strictly for sub surface small to medium waters. I will be throwing nymphs with 1 or 2 splitshot
If you can afford it, SA Sharkskin. I was at first skeptical of the line, but after casting them extensively I am convinced this is a great line.

If you don't want to drop the dinero for a Sharksking line, then I'd go SA GPX. If you're nymphing, you're usually throwing a short line, so you want the rod to load with little lline out. Also, you'll want a little aggressive taper than on a presentation line, the former which GPX provides. And, when you're not nymphing, the GPX line will rock.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
A real sleeper line is the S.A. Headstart. As the name implies, it was designed for beginners. It has real value ($39.95) for anyone looking for a high turnover line at short to medium distances (15’-60’). As a “beginner” line, it is slightly heavy, has a shorter head and a short front taper for good turnover. These features can be utilized by casters of any ability for the purpose that you just described.
Anil

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Anil,
Coudn't agree more. Couple years back I bought one for my brother and was very impressed with it. I fished it one afternoon, great line for the price.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Cheapest wf7f and cut 8' off tip. Craig
This post is confusing to me, for at least a couple of reasons:

1) Comparable models, WF7F is the same price as the WF5F. So, no savings there.

2) Cut off 8' of the tip, and assuming a 40' head, you still have 32' left of WF7F line on a 5 weight. If he plans to nymph, most of the time he'll be using that WF7F portion of the line because he won't be casting further than 30'. A WF7F on a TFO Finesse will be the tail wagging the dog . . .

What am

·
Registered
350 Posts
It takes mass to move mass. If the finesse is to limber a wf6f may work better--30' is the length that is measured for weight of line. The tip is cut to move the mass forward and get rid of the skinny portion of the tip. Yes 5wt and 7wt could cost the same, although I just bought 2 7wts for under 10.00. Harder to find 6wt at this price usually over double each. This is for a bobber, weighted nymph or split shot, and a smaller trailer--not for a size 18 BWO--it will spey cast quite well and it will accept a poly tip and spey cast very well.

Craig

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.