Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have wrapped a couple of graphite rods, and am getting ready to epoxy them. I am wondering if I wrapped them too tight, and if so if that can cause any problems. When I tried lighter tension the wraps would unravel with any burnishing, but with the tension I used it was pretty tough to pull the tag end of the thread under the wraps. I haven’t finished any rods yet, so these are my first two. Any advise is (as always) much appreciated.

·
AKA flyman219
921 Posts
I see nobody has replied to your question. I don't have a answer for you about a too tight tension for your wraps. What I can suggest is to apply your choice of finish to a wrap (an easy one to redo) and see how it reacts. If it is good, go for it. If not you may need to rewrap, but my guess is that you will be all right with your wraps as they are.

Mike

·
Registered
141 Posts
This my general rule on thread tension; it shouldn't be so tight that it's hard to fine tune the guide's alignment, and it shouldn't be so loose where there are problems with thread gaps or unwinding. Is there a gap between the two? Yes. Use your best judgement. The only wraps I make with super tight tension is the ferrule wraps.
Tight lines,
Keith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.