Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to fly fishing as a whole. Last year I started fishing for trout and this year I would like to progress to salmon. The problem is I have no idea what size rod, what type of rod, reel, or line to use. I have a pretty good idea of type of flies to use for I have drifted a lot of flies for salmon in the past. The river I prefer to fish is the Southfork of the Salmon River in Idaho. It is not a very large river (somewhat of a glorified creek). So I was thinking a a shorter rod in perhaps a 10 wt. But what type of line (sinking, sinking tip, how fast a sink rate)? I landed a nice male last year around 35 lbs so I was also wondering as to what type of leader I should go with. I was very excited when I found this site for there was a ton of really good information, any further help would be greatly appreciated. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mumbles for your reply. I generally use drift gear for salmon on a rod weighted for at least 20 lbs test with one of my more productive baits of choice being nothing more then tuffs of chartreuse and orange yarn. I am fairly sure that if I can get a fly to the salmon that they will take it. My problem is I do not know which one of the many thousands of fly lines that seem to be out there, to use. Drift gear is fairly simple. If your dragging bottom, cut a little weight off. If your not getting into the hole, add a little. As well, I am not sure as to what weight of fly rod a casting rod of 20 lbs test would equate to? I really don't want to buy a fly rod only to break it on a 20-30 lbs fish. I understand that a lot of this will depend on the river, and the only thing I can offer as explanation to the conditions is: the river I will be fishing is no more then 30 ft across in most spots (some spots that I have caught salmon out of I could almost jump across), it can have a very fast flow in the runoff but this year should be much less then normal, and I don't believe that the deepest holes are much more then 10 feet deep. I will try and check out Luke77's post, and again thank you for your response.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.