Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to plan a trip down the Sky from High Bridge to Sultan for a few years now, but it seens that every time I get the trip lined up something always keeps me fron going. This year I will make it down, even if I have to do it in a bag.

What I'm proposing is too get a group together to do the float in pontoon boats. I have never been down this section of river before, so obviously, there needs to be at least one (perferably more) person that is familliar with this streach of river. I do have 2 pontoon boats (10') so if anyone wants to go but does not have faith in their boat, or just doesn't have one, you migh tbe able to talk me into letting you use one.

I understand that there is the issue of water levels that dictates when this is a favorable section to float, but with the input of those who run this section regularly, I'm sure we can get it dialed in what exactly we need and when is going to be the best time to float.

If you have any input, questions, comments, or just need to be heard, chime in on this. I have wanted to do this float for a while now, and what the hell, things like this are always more fun when your not doing them alone. Kinda like sex, but there is no need to cuddle when you've finished, anyway, if you're alone I don't think you can call it sex, can you?
:beer2 :smokin :beer2

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
I also have a 8' pontoon boat and would be interested in floating along. I've never floated the Sky, but have done some rafting before.

Any idea when you want to do this float?

Bill

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
8" boats will work fine on the Sultan to Ben Howard trip, I've done this float quite a few times and have seen alot of them out there. Hopefully someone will leave some info on the upper river, I'll float the lower if thats what we get people interested in, but the drift from Big Eddy to Sultan is what I'm obsessing over becuase I have not done it yet.

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
I just got of those little pontoons myself - i dont know how big it is, but is the little blue waterskeeter. Depending on when this trip is going to take place - I am down. Maybe there will even be some fish!

J

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>
>The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.
>
>As big as you are I don't think a 10'er will keep your
>big butt out of the water. Hee,Hee,Hee:p
>
>Jim
I know a guy from Seattle thats gotta be pushing somewhere near 7' tall, and well over 300lbs. He fishes the same boats that I have, granted they do sit a bit lower in the water, but they rate the 10's for over 350 in class III water.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

From where ever you got it from they should be able to tell you what it's rated for. I have a smaller pontoon boat but it's only rated for lakes. I've been thinking about rivers but it would have to be in the summer time when the flows are lower. It had 7' pontoons but bigger than 16 inches in diameter. Just not enough guts to try it on a river.

Jim

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't stealhead but have only had my pontoon boat in a river once before. That was with miked and he was a good coach, I only bashed into one log in a 90 degree change of river direction. I could use the practice. I may join you depending when you go. jbrodie.:) PS you wouldn't do this during a playoff game would you?:beer1

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

Why aren't youse guys sick of feetball I surely am. I turn it on but can't seem to watch it.

Well if we all got together and Had a float trip thing I might like to try it. With all of you along I don't think that I could get into to much trouble.Could you see about twenty pontoon boats floating down the river with no one in them. HA.:beer1

Jim:p

·
Registered
184 Posts
I understand that there is a tricky spot or two below High Bridge, but I have not floated it before. Just make sure you guys talk with someone who is familiar with the upper river before launching. I'm sure the guys at Creekside, Kauffman's or Avid Angler could give you the low down. I would agree that the water from Sultan on down is suitable for the 8' pontoons.

-Crock

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

Well if it's too rough from High bridge down. Then hows the float from Gold bar down to Sultan It has to be just a bit smoother. I understand that the bad spots are from high bridge to Gold Bar. Just trying to find smoother water for all of us in the smaller pontoons.

Jim

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
I am with you on this one Jim - I have never floated my potoon boat in a river. I have rowed my fare share of rafts and drift boats, but not in difficult waters. I think a float trip anywhere with all you yahoo's couldnt be anything but a good time. Unfortunately - I cant make the weekday trips as Uncle Sam would frown on me taking a normal day off work, especially for going out and having a good time. ;)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"I understand that there is a tricky spot or two below
High Bridge, but I have not floated it before. Just
make sure you guys talk with someone who is familiar
with the upper river before launching."
Crock

I have a couple of buddies that have done that float quite a few times, so I am aware of the obsticals below the first bend. I am actually looking for someone who's familiar with the drift to come along, if not, then we will float the lower river.

I learned my lesson on our first outing with the boats, don't float what you have not seen! We were headded to Wenatchee for the weekend, the new boats in the back of the truck and lookin' for water. We figured we would float Nason Creek from the highway down to Lk. Wenetchee. We drove around looking at the creek for awhile and finaly settled on a spot to launch, put the boats in the water and strapped on the lifejackets. My wife and daughter were on one boat, and I, the other, having a blast in the small creek. Around a blind corner we came across a log jam that was the width of the creeks banks, and about 100' long! Talk about instantly loosing any feeling of knowing what you're doing, I felt like such a stupid ass for letting us get in this position. It took my wife and I over an hour to cary both boats over the top of the jam, while the daughter sat in fear on a log. We finaly made it back to the lake where I got a ride back to the truck, the wife and daughter both wet and freezing waited for me to return.

I swore that from that day on, I would never float water I have not seen, unless i'm with someone that has. These are words to live by, I do not want to be one of the statistics for the years deaths for our watersheds, and don't want anyone else to either
:bawling :beer1 :bawling :beer1 :bawling :beer1

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Hey my wife said I could blow my child support from my ex-nazi-wife on a pontoon boat. Don't get freaked out about blowing my kids money. He's 18 now and she still owes me 9000. But I have about a grand. Where the hell do I start? DUH! I found the boats link. But I never pay full price.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

Shop around and check out the Classified ads on this site. Some one has a South fork up for sale that should fit you to a tee for $450.00. It's made by Bucks Bags and is rated for this type of water. I know I used to have one. Sold it to get a lake pontoon boat. A Alpine,also made by Bucks Bags.

Jim

P/S That sure is a good wife that you have.. Do you know of any more like that. Mine lets me go when ever there is free time. But not to spend any money.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.