Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to Ocean Shores and the other day some friends and I took a road trip north to see the Quinnault area. The Hoh River and Queets River look awesome.

Have any of you fished these rivers?
Do I need a tribal permit?
Any pattern and presentations suggestions?

Most of what I read about these rivers focuses on Salmon and Steelhead but I just want to fly fish for trout. Any help in this matter would be appreciated. :D

Peace.

-J

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
the only trout really worth fishing for are going to be searun cutthroats, unless you want to hike a long ways up into the headwaters where you should be able to find some trout.
I like stimulators for my SCRs... a royal coachman or bog caddis can usually get me a strike. I will also swing some flashy wets. No specific pattern, just a lto fo flash.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
You'll find alot of cutts/dollies on the Hoh. Just downsize your offerings. You'll find them throughout the river.

The Quinault you don't need any guides on the upper river. You are more likely to find smaller trout/dollies up there. I haven't fished it in awhile, if I'm that far I'm hitting the Hoh/Yute system. But I'm targeting mostly salmon/steelhead and the dollies/cutts are a fun surprise. Just about anything will catch them, in fall use flesh/egg patterns. During the summer, I use standard trout patterns. Nymph or streamer patterns. Depends on the water dictates how flashy I go. Sometimes you can easily get by with darker flies. Headwaters are best, since you'll get little traffic. But you have chances all the way down most of the rivers. Just need to change your tactics/flies. Heck, I've caught SRC's and Dollies swinging a #2 pink bunny leech!!!! Well, the dollie was about 4-5#'s though. LOL. But the cuts where a bit smaller.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Jdog, I might be exploring Duck Lake for bass, crappie, and trout. Also the North Jetty and where "the ruins" (sunken tail end of the jetty) extend back toward Damon Spit for surf perch, and along the spit itself. I might also be checking out the Copalis River, the Humptulips River, and following the advice shared in the above posts.
In fact, I will be exploring these opportunities myself as time permits (so much water...so little time!) I'm on the south side of the Harbor and have some spots I know here, but am always exploring for more.
E-mail me if you'd like to get together and explore up on the peninsula...the Upper Quinault for example.

You only need a tribal permit, and maybe a tribe member guide, when fishing on the Quinault Nation waters...also a license from the Makahs when on their waters.

Good Luck, Jimbo
:thumb

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Jaws

I used to fish Duck Lake with my Dad alot back in the 80's. Took my kids there fishing a couple years ago and was amazed by the amount of lilly pads and what looked like milfoil. I heard they had planned to either clean/dredge part of the lake (or certain canals). Did they ever do that, or was it a rumor? Had some nice fish there, and first and one of only few bass I ever caught was trout fishing there. Was a nice lake, but had grown over alot in some of the prime fishing spots we'd hit from the bank.

You gave alot of good info. Hopefully, it'll fit the style fishing he wants. I never flyfished the jetty. Only used our big surf spinning rods. Not sure I could manage even a 9wt with heavy sinktip in some of those winds. LOL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome to Ocean Shores. I am a relative newcomer here as well but did spend last year exploring and fishing. Here's my suggestions.

Duck Lake: has trout, bass, and crappie. The trout are generally small planters. The bass can be good, but it takes some exploring with a boat.

Humptulips River: has lots of steelhead and salmon in the fall and searun cutthroat from opening in June until they have worked their way up to the tributaries in the winter. Fish the lower stretches early and higher up in the late fall. This is the closest river to Ocean Shores and in my opinion the best. I caught some nice cutthraot there last summer.

Copalis River: has a great run of salmon in the fall. Hard to fish anywhere except right at Copalis without a boat. I did catch several small searun cutts there last summer. It has some promise. The kids here tell me there are some big dollies in there in the fall.

Quinault River: the upper river, above the lake, is open June 1st. It has some good fishing for steelhead and cutthroat in the fall. I caught cutthroat to 18 inches just above the lake last year. It has dollies also. You'll have to walk some to reach the best areas.

Wynooche and Satsop Rivers: both have good cyutthroat and stealhead fishing. A boat is very helpful, but you can wade the Satsop from the hwy bridge down a half mile or so.

Chehalis River: has salmon, seelhead and cutthroat.I've fished in the Porter area and found cutthroat. To fish the river well you need a boat or canoe. The Chehalis has lots of fish. Summer through the fall is the best time for trout.

Failor Lake: talk to JAWS. He's had some luck there.

Wllapa Bay and rivers south: there is a lot of potential for searun cutts in all those rivers. I had pretty good luck on cutts earlier this year in the portions open year round. Talk to JAWS. This is his territory.

Good luck.

Some fishing reports and pictures on www.fishermansjournal.com

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Jaws

Yeah, Steelheader, that wind is the spoiler. Early mornings and days when high pressure is building inland with a weak low sitting offshore are the best bets to beat the wind. Right now as I write this, for example, at 7:30am or so, both those conditions exist. The wind is very light from the SE, puffing lightly offshore, so the conditions for surfcasting would be ideal. By mid-to-late morning the wind will probably turn onshore and pick up to where casting would be difficult.

I have noticed that perch are active at low tide changes and the incoming tide around jetties.

Dang it Don, there goes my "secret" lake. Failor is a long-time favorite of the locals for stocker bows 10-13", the rare cutthroat, and a few triploids in the mix. Turns into a party zone on warm afternoons and after school lets out, so for a more pristine experience there, hit it in the morning during the week, on a rainy day and early in the season. I usually don't fish there between June 1st and late September. I would be there this morning if I didn't have so much work lined up(I'm having to turn away new business to keep some time to fish), but I got to fish all day last friday, saturday, and monday: three different lakes(scored!) and a beach on the Strait(skunked!).

I've read and heard that on those big Peninsula streams, one must hike way upstream into the Park to find resident rainbows and cutts. There will be dollies there, also, and some whitefish. I will be making some trips to personally verify this information this summer. That is, when I'm not chasing SRC's in the local estuaries and streams that flow into Willapa Bay and Grays Harbor. Alot of water to explore, in addition to my known spots!!!

Jimbo :thumb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.