Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and i are heading to Kalaloch tomorrow for a couple of days and I'll get a half day to fish--any suggestions on where? The Hoh and Queets both look pretty high, but I'm not very familiar with either river. If they're too far out of shape, any other suggestions? I would be happy with trout or steelhead, but prefer trout given the choice.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

·
Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,584 Posts
From Kalaloch, Salmon River is real close and end of January isn't too late for those hatchery
steelhead. Clears up quick too. Check the regs, but I used to drive a couple miles up the Queets
Corridor road and park at the bridge and walk upstream and chuck eggs. (Yes, I used to be a gear
chucker) It's generally open up to the reservation line, and it's nearly impossible to walk the river that far. You get cliffed out. Some seasons, when the hatchery egg take was assured, the Quinault tribe opened the whole river for unguided white guy fishing. Then you can come in on the road to the upper bridge, although it might be too brushy to be fly rodding.

Or you can walk downstream and fish the mouth where it joins the Queets. But I never did catch
anything there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I might try the Salmon again--tried a couple of years ago in January off the queests river rd. bridge but the Salmon was coffee brown and I caught zip. Pretty country, however. I thought I might even try Kalaloch or Cedar creeks just to see what's there. Could be a waste of time but who knows? ....What's the worst that can happen if I strike out?

This:!!! :beer1

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.