Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going for a day out on the upper river and would like to know if anyone has been swinging a fly on her. Looking to fish the upper stretch with a couple of buddy's and still have room for one more, if you feel like a Sunday trip your welcome. Thanks for the info!

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
No fish in the Hoh, you can get casting and swinging practice closer to your home.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Check out Fisheyesoup website and look up Washington under the fishing report tab.
It is the internet, lots of misinformation, fabrication and photoshoppage. I think it is a ploy to lure you away from home to burn more gas, buy more meals on the road and so others can pound your home water while you are gone.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Mumbles, you're going to spoil his fantasy, He's looking to catch "The Big One" and wants to have witnesses.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
English Pete caught, photographed excessively, gill handled and killed "the big one" last year. Stewart Dee will have to go for "the next big one". He is a dreamer!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah don't spoil my fantasy. Besides my home water is boring now and its a tossup - the Hoh or the Cow (cant deal with the gear guys) or B.C. (big lines at the border). besides I have a secret bullhead fly

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Your mind is wandering. Focus, focus, focus. Wherever you focus, go there. If you are passing through my neck of the woods, say hey.

·
Josh
639 Posts
Fished over there two Weekends ago. We floated from Morgans to Hoh Oxbow.

It was my first time fishing/ floating that part of the river and only my third day fishing the Hoh. That River is awesome and the float was pretty spectacular. The weather was in the seventys and the river had at least 4-5 feet of visibility.

I caught a 13-15" dolly and a 13 inch cut on my first two casts, swinging a purple egg sucking marabou something or other. Had two other nice takes but nothing stuck. My buddy Farmed a steelhead on a nymph settup.

Question- The Hoh almost always has color to it. This I'm sure will affect where the fish hold. Typically when I fish Steelhead I try to only spend time hitting the water that has large rock. This took me a long time to learn and I gotta thank "Big Valley" from the board for drilling it into my head. The Hoh had alot of runs that looked good, had good flow, werent silty, but had small rock. Do you guys still fish this? When I had a guided trip on the lower river this winter I was amazed how close we fished to shore (nymphing between runs from the boat), but because of the color wasnt able to analyze the structure of the river bottom.

Do you guys still fish those runs or only really hammer the runs with big rock?

Thanks for any advice.

Josh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good reports I am stoked for this little outing! Runejl the structure fishing is a good thing as everyone likes to fish certain water. For me its greasy seams in the shadows of the canopy or long choppy gravel bars full of seams and shelf's. Your definitely on the right trail, just one thing -- LOSE THE BEAD:( Thanks for the report and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If a piece of water catches my eye I will investigate it futher. If it has produced in the past I swing it even if it has been fished before me because I know it has held fish and because I like to swing flies on the Hoh. Other spots swing well so I fish those spots and to mix it up I will swing from the opposite side of the river in areas that allow it. You will find that a lot of the runs are to fast and that will narrow it down a bit. LOSE THE BRAZ BEAD LOL

·
Josh
639 Posts
To clarify, I swung all day. This however is very rare, I really enjoy nypming.

On rivers like the Hoh and Nooksack (my home water) you dont get many chances to see what the bottom is made up of (is it covered in sand, big rock etc.) Using a nymph setup to probe the river you can tell what you are fishing over by the way your strike indicator bounces downstream. You are often rewarded with fish also. Catching one fish leads to catching more because then you know the fish hold there.

I spent a couple of years swinging non-fish holding water, Not catching anything. Without there ever being that many fish in the Nooksack how was a person supposed to learn. Now if I am learning water I will employ the nymph rod as a tool. If I have caught a fish from a run before I will swing it first.

Success leads to success. Good luck out there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seems like all bead guys say the same thing (NO HATING). Its just figuring out how to read water and I feel bead guys read water different that's all. NO HARM INTENDED HERE! We are all in the brotherhood probing the water in different ways.

·
Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"
2,838 Posts
To clarify, I swung all day. This however is very rare, I really enjoy nypming.

On rivers like the Hoh and Nooksack (my home water) you dont get many chances to see what the bottom is made up of (is it covered in sand, big rock etc.) Using a nymph setup to probe the river you can tell what you are fishing over by the way your strike indicator bounces downstream. You are often rewarded with fish also. Catching one fish leads to catching more because then you know the fish hold there.

I spent a couple of years swinging non-fish holding water, Not catching anything. Without there ever being that many fish in the Nooksack how was a person supposed to learn. Now if I am learning water I will employ the nymph rod as a tool. If I have caught a fish from a run before I will swing it first.

Success leads to success. Good luck out there.
Walk and carry a long stick. You'd be surprised what your feet and a long stick can tell you when you probe a run.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
I don't know anything about fly fishing for steel on the Hoh, but the weather forecast is looking better for ya! By Friday night we should get some cloud cover here on the coast, and lower temps, which should prevail thru the weekend! That's supposed to be good for fishing those glacial stream, right?
Good luck to ya! I'm not planning to travel anywhere this weekend, but I might be doing some contrarian mongoose sneakings in my own home waters!

·
Reformed Guide and sometimes fisherman
2,257 Posts
To clarify, no pun intended. The upper hoh can get gin clear. Lower hoh gets cloudy by several clay banks and the north/south fork that dumps in (can't think too many beers)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.