Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flies tied in the Popovics Hollow Fleye style are some of the most beautiful and graceful saltwater flies out there, but you don't hear much of them being used in Puget Sound for salmon. I am wonder why this is? It seems they would provide an excellent silhouette for our local baitfish, particularly herring in the fall, depending on their size and bulkiness. Who out there has used them? Anyone have some favorite dressings?

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Flies tied in the Popovics Hollow Fleye style are some of the most beautiful and graceful saltwater flies out there, but you don't hear much of them being used in Puget Sound for salmon. I am wonder why this is? It seems they would provide an excellent silhouette for our local baitfish, particularly herring in the fall, depending on their size and bulkiness. Who out there has used them? Anyone have some favorite dressings?
I've tied some for salmon but haven't fished them. I have, however, had success with them for both lingcod and rock fish at Neah Bay. I really love the look of those flies, and they swim amazingly well. Plus they are just a hell of a lot of fun to tie.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,857 Posts
I've tied some with both craft fur and bucktail.
My craft fur ones look ok. The bucktail versions look less then stellar and need a lot of work. Havingreally good quality bucktail is key.
I did catch fish on the craft fur version. I'd use a different hook if I tie any more.
SF

Insect Plant Feather Parasite Invertebrate

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. They are such cool patterns, I am gonna give them a try. Seems like a fun challenge at the vise, which is mainly what I am interested in right now after restocking my clouser boxes with enough flies to (hopefully) last the season... 4 dozen stinger clousers should be enough right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.