Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Homemade-o-bagoes, jury rigs, okifications, etc. I was just wondering what modifications you might have made to anything that has to do with fly fishing? Would you please share these, even if they were a total waste of time or proved to be dangerous. All ideas welcome. I am sure that everyone would be interested as ideas are always valuable, even failures.
I made a modication to my 8' Outcast pontooner. Since I can weld, I fashioned a square welded frame to be bolted underneath the main rails. To the center of this, I welded a short tube which would be the receptacle for my bicycle wheel. I detached the front wheel on an old bike of mine. The gooseneck was a tube of steel and this fit into the receptacle. When I wanted to portage, the wheel took the load and I pushed along behind. When launched, the wheel would just fall out. Good thinking, Bob!
But the damn thing nearly killed me! The problem was that the receiver (receptacle) hung down about 6" from the bottom of the boat. Going down the Bogachiel, hunting for summer runs, in very shallow water, the pipe below struck a rock so hard my teeth nearly jumped out of my mouth (and no, the are not false). Fortunately I had a wrench in my pocket and I unbolted the rig. Bad thinking, Bob!
For lakes though, it would be a winner.
Rob:thumb

· Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no way to hold my rod while in my pontoon boat,
"the Lake Huron Hornet," so I was very interested to the instructions given on how to make one from 3" plastic pipe. But I got lost as far as attaching the pipe to the boat. I bought one of those so-called rod holders made by Scotty. It turned out to be joke and I threw it away. It was always rolling here and there.
Get back to me please on the attachment problem.
BJL

· Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have always enjoyed making up something for my fishing. I have a shop but it is the tools that I carry about that sets me off from others. On one side of my belt, I have a reel attached and in the reel I carry my roll of duct tape. On the other side, I have another reel in which I put a roll of toilet paper. On my back, I have a kid's backpack and I have torn a hole in the bottom for convenience. In the pack, I keep an inventory of about 35 bungies. As you can see, I am always prepared to execute any idea which might pop into my head.
I am afraid that there is a complete misunderstanding over this rod holder idea as many suggestions seem to be designed to carry the rod in back of the pontoon as in transporting the rod.
I want a holder to point the rod straight out in front of me for, say, bobber fishing with chironomids or with a leech and a deep sinker and trolling around quietly, looking for something. I need a rod holder that permits easy extraction for when I've got a big one on, yet, I don't want my rod and reel falling into the drink. The design of a fly outfit is very poor for fitting into a holder. What to do?
blaw.:dunno

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.