Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
704 Posts
I always wanted to fashin' a bike wheel to my frame to take the darn thing down the Elwah but never did.

I can remember not having a bottle opener to open my beer and so I just used a lighter. Oh wait, I always use a lighter to open my beer so that one doesn't count.

Lasy year on the Yak I remember rowing the Thorp canyon at one of the high water days. Fishing was really good but we were hauling butt. When by partner hooked a fish I saw a perfect pull off right in front of an island so I headed over there and dropped anchor. I mean I literally dropped my anchor. I was going so fast that the rope fed all of the way out and through the foot feeder.

We pulled off to the side of the river accross the fast water and couldn't figure out how to get back accross. Pushing the boat upstream was the only option. We would then just drift back accross to the island and retreive the anchor and rope sitting 3 feet from shore.

Well, it was a challange but we managed to pull the boat upstream with a rope v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. At at that point we were still only straight accross from the anchor and needed to get 20' above it to row accross. We dicided that it would be too difficult to just keep dragging that damn boat upstream so we opted to walk the boat accross the fast and deep current. As long as we had one or two feet on the bottom at all times we wouldn't lose the boat.

So off we go, making sure to keep out footing as best as possible. As we make it to the center of the channel, I start to lose my footing due to the fast water. Every 2 steps I can only get one foot to touch down in the water. Then it immediately gets sweeped away so I desperately grab on to the side of the boat as I take the Superman position but then I see my partner is also in the Superman posiotion but we are drifting towards the other side by momentum. After a couple more steps we are back in the shallow water and the boat is parked on the other side. The anchor was retreived and we were back in business.

I know what you are thinking, "All that work for an anchor?" Yes, us crazy fisherfolks are willing to risk their lives for 20' of chain and 20' of marine rope but hey, haven't lost an anchor yet.

Now if I had lost the anchor,(Back to my point) I keep an old drybag and rope handy so I can just fill it with rocks to simlate an anchor.

Okay, no I am rambling.

TM101

· Registered
704 Posts
You know, it is tough to buy stuff that can be made with bike shop tools and a mig/tig welder pretty easily.

Thank you for offering though. You might want to post it so someone can searh the site one day for the info. (Also in case I get lazy and just want to buy one)

Looking forward to a little hiking this summer. The weather is changing and the skis are getting their storage wax in May. Only two months away from the Summer Opener!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.