Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some good news for salmon fisherman...

The Seattle Times reported that a transient pack of Orca's in Hood Canal have so far eaten a third of the harbor seals in Hood Canal over the last seven weeks.
Apparently the resident Orca's prefer fish.

Have you ever fished off the mouth of some of the HC streams in the fall, for example the Dosey, and watched packs of several hundred seals on an all-you-can-eat anadranomous buffet?

You go Orca's!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Fished the Dosewallips estuary for searuns a couple years ago at dusk and at one point counted 6 curious harbor seals just outside of casting range. I remember thinking that life would be pretty tough for any fish trying to navigate the estuary.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yeah all we need now is some orca's to come over by point defiance and thin out the seals. I have had several seals take a salmon and sometimes my gear off the end of my line. :reallymad Oh well at least we got a Great White Shark.:thumb

fly15

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Heh folks,
Just read the article on my homepage...outdoors unlimited...If your interested in reading it the address is:
www.registerguard.com/news/2003/02/25/e4.orcaseals.0225.html
or you can go to outdoorsunlimited.com and see the link in the middle of the page, but beware they seem to be having problems with their page tonight.
Enjoy,
Scott

P.S. How are some people here charter members. Do they own a chunk of the site or what? Just curious.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey harleydeen, I asked the same question about 6 months ago, here is Chris's exact response:

"Charter members are those that were on the board prior to when "Members Since" dates were kept. No date to display for them so it defaults to Charter member."

~Ryan

·
Registered
364 Posts
A guy my dad has known for over 30 years is the guy that had the great white on. I actually saw the flasher that the guy was trolling when he hooked the great white and it was pretty torn up. The guy that said he had the great white on worked at the point defiance aquarium and knows his fish. He has been fishing in puget sound for like 50 years.
You would be surprised at some of the kinds of fish out in puget sound. Sun fish have been spotted out there numerous times and I am not talking bluegill here I meen those giant fish that apeer to be cut in half they can grow up to 4,000 pounds.
A couple years ago there were quite a few mackerel caught also near point defiance which is pretty rare. My dad once witnessed a huge basking shark following his friends boat right at the surface while he was fishing under the narrows bridge. There are also some huge crabs out in the really deep water in puget sound I forget what there name is but you are not allowed to fish for them legally.
There are also salmon sharks out there to, infact a guy came in to the boathouse the other day to buy cable some huge hooks and really big swivels to go fish for salmon sharks, he said he has caught them before in puget sound. If you spend enough time on the water you are bound to see some strange things.:eek

fly15

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Many of the old timers here on the Olympic Peninsula have told me that they used to shoot seals when they saw them on the river-run fish, or in the rivers.I know that was, and still is ,common amongst some people "up north"; commercial guys, camps, native villages, etc.,though not what it used to be.The bears eat them allot too.

Maybe the "surplus" of seals will do something to stabilize the whale population plunge. Anytime we interfere with the flow of things, the order of predators etc, we and the whole ecosystem pay a price.If you look far enough back you can say the hatcheries are the problem, or maybe the canneries that started the hatcheries, or maybe the greed that drove the whole thing... If we stop killing wild fish they just might have a chance. Let the wild mammals work things out between themselves.

It reminds me of the old story about the early bird getting the worm;I think it was Mark Twain who said: "The early worm gets eaten". Nature isn't so different from the developed world. After all, you have to be a fast rat to win the
"rat-race".

·
Registered
804 Posts
An old (90 plus) year old fisherman friend of mine was paid $5 per nose for seals and sea lions by what was probably then the "game department" after WW2 - blasting and casting off Alki.....

Whale Factoid: The transient pod of orcas do not chat like the resident pods, since seals and other mammals can hear them coming...Special Forces of the whale world unite and Save our Salmon.

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well guys I hate to spoil your party but Orcas eat salmon also. And it isn't the seals and orcas who have decimated the Pacific North West salmon stocks but rather industrial logging, over urbanization of sensitive areas. over grazing, water pollution, over fishing and the list goes on.
If we have to hope that the whales eat all the seals so there are more salmon left for week end fishing recreation than we need to re evaluate our priorities.
I would suggest participating in river clean up and restoration projects. Joining American Rivers, The Nature Conservancy or Trout unlimited if you are truly concerned about the future of salmon. The Seals, Orcas and Salmon are all part of a sensitive an abused eco system and it isnt fair to blame a seal for our failures in protecting the salmon and screwing uo the environment. The seals are just trying to survive and maybe we should give them a break.
The Wulff

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
>Well guys I hate to spoil your party but Orcas eat
>salmon also.

Well, apparently our "Puget Sound Residents" prefer fish, and these orcas are a pod offshore coastal dwellers that prefer seal. So yeah, they are probably eating a few salmon as an appetizer, but not as many as they are eating of the seal population.

You gotta remember that seals and salmon are proper Orca food, and there is nothing that they (or we) can do about it. But you gotta admit, they sure have a great angle on getting around the MMPA!

Rob

·
Registered
506 Posts
Interesting topic....The resident Orcas do prefer Salmon, indeed, and they apparently have a preference for the largest and most nutritious salmon, the Chinook. With Puget Sound stocks endangered, the Orcas are basically sustaining themselves on the hatchery clones we dump out. So now it gets complicated, the wild fish advocate who would like to shut down hatcheries, has to think about the people that care about the Orcas. It's a complicated problem we are dealing with when it comes to fixing the salmon situation. What do you think, should we phase out the hatcheries at the expense of resident Orca pods?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.