Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mother Nature's Son
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a trip to Hood Canal. There are a number of fishing options for salmon on a fly. I managed to hook 3 chinook today and landed two. The silvers are just beginning to show although the numbers are not high for them quite yet. The chinook are in a number of different spots so look for them in the estuaries. You'll know in a moment if the river you're looking at has them because they've been rolling/jumping to announce their presence. The numbers of chinook are impressive.

I'm lucky enough to have a jet boat and was able to check 25-30 miles worth of beaches for coho. The coho are just starting around Ayock point and points further south.

North of Ayock point, the Quilcene is just beginning to get a few fish and the numbers have been improving. The fish have been most active and available for the fly-tosser at or near low tide. As is mentioned on other posts, there is a large number continuing on their journey from the Straits so things will continue to improve.

Skinny

·
Registered
728 Posts
hey thanks for the report on the canal, haven't been there yet this year, did you launch at potlatch and fish around the mouth of the skok and hoodsport where you hooked the nookies and seen them rolling? ben

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just to add to the report, Sunday night I landed 2 silvers just south of the hood canal bridge, largest about 5 lbs, saw several jump in the 7-8 lb range, also landed a few cutts in the 14-16 inch range, 3 inch deciever was the ticket. Should just get better and better.

·
Mother Nature's Son
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put the boat in at Potlatch State park and from there went towards the Tahuya and did see a few silvers but things were fairly slow.
The fish were pretty thick near the mouth of the Skok though. Just upstream from the mouth there is a pool where they had started congregate. The fish were most active at low tide and then started to surge upstream when the tide started coming back in.

The hatchery definitely had lots of fish and had lots of people. There were a few guys there with fly rods amongst the crowds and it looked like they were doing pretty well. As you know, a fly line equiped with an intermediate tip will often out fish other methods as it keeps the fly in the strike zone longer especially in shallower water. If you're willing to brave the crowds at the hatchery there are tons of fish.

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
I have vacation coming up starting August 30th and going for 2 weeks. I am trying to pick going North to Whatcom county or play around on the Peninsula. The question is how rough does the water get in the Hood Canal area? Could I fish for silvers using a fairly stable lake kayak? Or does the water get to rough. I have fished some larger lakes with it such as Coldwater, Lake Union and Preist in Idaho and would fish Cresent if not to bad. What areas can be fished without lots of rowing to get there. I also do not like being around alot of larger boats since they have a hard time seeing me on the water. I will have to row around and fish then row back. I would hate to row more then a couple of miles from a launch site. The launch site does not have to be a boat ramp though. Sound like the fishing will be good while I on vacation and I would love to catch and release a few silvers from my kayak and go for a ride with them if large enough. A 5LBS fish pulls it around well. It would make a nice change of pace from catching bass and trout and maybe a steelhead or salmon in one of the rivers. I plan to do a fair amount of fishing no matter which way I go. I plan to fish some of the lakes and rivers as well including some hike into lakes. As well as doing some sight seeing and meeting people along the way. Last question what other types of fish can be caught with a fly rod in the Hood Canal I have not fished there before?

·
Mother Nature's Son
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wind on Hood Canal can be pretty stiff at times and can create wind waves/swells of about 3 feet. That being said, it can be dead calm as well and I did see a number of people in their kayaks traveling about. The weather is almost always calm early and late, which of course is the best time to be targeting salmon and/or sea-runs.

One option would be to fish around the Tahuya as this area of the Hood Canal is often sheltered from wind. You would be able to launch your boat at the bridge and then travel a short distance (1/4) mile to the estuary. From the estuary, there is another prime spot I believe is called Bald Point. I would estimate the distance from the estuary to Bald Point to be about 1 mile.

There were some people fishing from float tubes around the Hoodsport hatchery. As you may be aware, there is limited public land around the hatchery and almost always an altercation when someone steps beyond the boundary markers onto "private" beach. The house immediately to the west of the hatchery is well known for it's owners having issues with those fishing beyond the boundary. You may be able to put your kayak on the water there however. Futher down the road (about 1/4) mile west of the hatchery there are pull outs where you would be easily able to launch your craft. There are often swarms of fish moving through those beaches on there way to the hatchery.

The Skokomish has fish and you would be able to launch at Potlatch state park. The distance from the park to the mouth of the Skok is probably less than 1/2 mile.

As for types of fish, I've primarily targeted Sea-Run cutts and/or salmon but the odd Sculpin and/or flounder ends up in the mix. Maybe check out NOAA for a more complete forecast and/or wind conditions before you make up your mind.

Hope that helps,
Skinny

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
Thanks for the information. I am leaning more and more to head out to the peninsula for my two weeks. Lots of areas I want to explore more out there. At least that is where my research is telling me I will have more things to do and fish for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.