Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok hopin a few of ya might have some good techniques stripping off a fly, so that I can re use the hook.As you know steelhead hooks can be spendy,so I try to re use them. But damm its tedious unwraping all that thread to remove the material, theres got to be a better or quicker way of stripping the material off the hook.Any Idea's would be great.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Thad, how about a razor blade scraper, Xacto knife or scalpel blades. Then there is always the lighter.

·
has never caught a steelhead... (its sad, I know)
185 Posts
I have found that burning off the old material can kill the temper of the metal used to make the hookk. I have had some hooks straighten out after they were heat treated like this. The hook may still be strong enough to hold most fish, but I wouldn't want to risk it on a big steelhead. I understand they pull pretty hard...

For this reason, I always use an xacto knife. Doesn't really work on some flies, because I tend to use a lot of super glue / gorilla glue / epoxy.

·
Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have found that burning off the old material can kill the temper of the metal used to make the hookk. I have had some hooks straighten out after they were heat treated like this. The hook may still be strong enough to hold most fish, but I wouldn't want to risk it on a big steelhead. I understand they pull pretty hard...

For this reason, I always use an xacto knife. Doesn't really work on some flies, because I tend to use a lot of super glue / gorilla glue / epoxy.
You nailed it! I of course tried burning, but if you have any kind of mylar or plastic or even some dubbing it just melts and makes a mess.And exacto is still a slow process especially the closer you get to the hook. I was hoping for some miracle answer like.... Ohh you soak it in.... and the material just wipes away.But I guess there is no great way.

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
Burning can cause all the problems listed above. Scraping works okay but blades dull quickly from wire and metal tinsels. It also scrapes the finish off the hook.

The most effective method I have ever seen or used came from watching Ron Lucas at a tying show. It was a head slapping "now why didn't I think of that" moment.

Take a small pair of flat blade pliers without serations on the jaws. Starting either at the front or the back of the fly put the fly between the plier jaws and squeese really hard. You will feel the materials breaking as you squeeze. Progress down the hook till you reach the other end. This works so well you won't believe it. Wire, tinsel, thread, dubbing,,, everything compresses against the hook and seperates. Don't do this with the hook in your vise jaws because you have to squeeze very hard and may bend the hook if it is captured in the vise jaw.

It only takes a few seconds and it does not hurt the hook.

TC

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Burning can cause all the problems listed above. Scraping works okay but blades dull quickly from wire and metal tinsels. It also scrapes the finish off the hook.

The most effective method I have ever seen or used came from watching Ron Lucas at a tying show. It was a head slapping "now why didn't I think of that" moment.

Take a small pair of flat blade pliers without serations on the jaws. Starting either at the front or the back of the fly put the fly between the plier jaws and squeese really hard. You will feel the materials breaking as you squeeze. Progress down the hook till you reach the other end. This works so well you won't believe it. Wire, tinsel, thread, dubbing,,, everything compresses against the hook and seperates. Don't do this with the hook in your vise jaws because you have to squeeze very hard and may bend the hook if it is captured in the vise jaw.

It only takes a few seconds and it does not hurt the hook.

TC
TC, that is some good advice there. I'll give that a try. Hey Thad, try not tying so many crappy flies and none of these processes will be too labor intensive. If you tie up a dozen dogs and then have to scrape them you'll dull your blades for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.