Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble in some cases, selecting the right hook? I'm a novice tyer, and I mostly have experience with tiemco hooks. Not to mention they are the dominant hook on the shelf of my local shop. What do you do when you get a receipe that calls for a Dai-riki, Diiachi??, or mustad, and its not obvious length/gauge/shape? Is there a reference chart or something, or do you just make do????----Jon:hmmm

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I do believe in using better hooks. I normally buy daiichi's. I do like dairiki's too.

I like hooks that are super sharp right out of pack. I hate having to file/refile all the time. Most of the daiichi's and dairiki's I've used I haven't had to resharpen. They've held their sharpness.

Daiichi has a reference chart. If you email them, they can send you their lists and chart. Shows different makers and what hooks they make comparible. I'm a commercial tyer, so can them pretty cheap. But I prefer to spend the extra money (even before discount). Why spend all that money on good gear, and go cheap on the most important thing of all, the thing holding the fish.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In the back of several of my fly tying/pattern books there are charts listing brand name hook #'s and the equivalent hook # for other major brands. The size of the hook should be about the same no matter what brand it is though. The primary thing you want to pay attention to is the style of hook, since a standard nymph hook is shorter than a streamer hook, and a standard scud hook is still shorter than a standard nymph hook and so on. As long as the style of hook the dressing calls for is used it should not matter what brand it is, i.e. if it calls for a dry fly hook use a dry fly hook in the right size and use whatever brand you have got around.

·
Banned
117 Posts
>I really dont think the hook matters all that much in
>tying the fly. Are you having a lot of fish get off?
>
>
>what flies are you trying to tie?

Son-
The hook is an integeral part of the fly! The hook makes a whole Hell of alot of differance when one is tying flies for various reasons.

My favorite chiro hook is the TMC 2499SP BL. It a short shank wide gap hook that gives me the best hookup on big fish when fishing small flies. Sure a TMC 100 or 2457 would do the job but my hookup and landing ratio is so much higher with the 2499.

Secondly, would you tie a hopper on a TMC 5263? I think not. It is a 3x long, 2x heavy hook that would sink any bug in a second. A hopper or Stimi is best suited for a dry fly hook like a TMC 2312.

And the opposite is true! Would you tie a monster rabbit leach on a light wire hook like a 2312? Hell No! Big fish come to those rabbit leeches so a heavy wire hook is beneficial and the 3x long shank allows you to tie a much longer rabbit leech then that 2312 would.

Also, hooks can also elevate one's landing ration as one can choose to tie their flies on tubes and thus they can use a short shank hook. That short shank hook does not allow the fish as much leverage on the hook as he can with a long shank hook. Thus, the fly is less likely to be forced out!

And lasty, brand choice must be considered! Mustad is an expensive hook but they must be sharpened out of the box and they do not have the variety that Tiemco does. Targus, a Tiemco knock off (Hell, their hook models are the exact same as Tiemco's), again are an inexpensive hook but they are soft and will bend out on a good fish.

I hope this little bit was educational for 'ya! :professor

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have recently started to buy Dai Riki hooks as opposed my usual Tiemcos because of the price difference, but I have already had two break in the vice( while using 8/0 and 10/0 thread, so I can't be pulling all that hard) and this last weekend one of the eyes wasn't all the way closed so as I tried to close it w/ my forceps I broke it leaving me without the first pattern to produce fish all day. Guess I'm going back to good old Tiemco.:beer2
Tight Lines

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I guess I wasnt clear enough because you obviously jumped on something you think you know about.
In order to give advice as to what kind of hook to use, you have to know what he is trying to tie. You cant reccomend a dry fly hook for winter steelhead flies.
What I meant was that the brand of hook does not matter much. He asked what hooks we use, and named brands, not types. Therefore refering to brands, i said that I dont think they matter a whole lot.

I hope this was educational for ya':thumb

·
Registered
32 Posts
There are some charts out there that compare different brands. Much of it comes with experience. Learning that a light hook works better for a dry and a heavy hook for a big ole streamer. It also depends on the fly, I will use old generic mustads for some things, but go in for top dollar tiemcos or dai-riki hooks on others. Cabelas now makes a decent hook for a good price. They are sharp right out of the box and right cheap for 100 compared to other top names. Rob.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:) Thanks for the insight guys. I was actually working on a caddis larva attractor pattern.... it called for a dai-riki, and all I have is tiemco. Its hard to know if one hook is 3xlong/ heavy wire ect. just from the model#, sometimes its a given, sometimes not. Thanks again--Jon:D

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I just buy hooks of any type so long as they are the right size. But I admisre those who choose their hooks carefully and note their performance. These are probably the highliners. Me, I am just ordinary, but I love mysef.:+ :thumb

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Being very new to tying, I have not really given it any thought as to the brand I need to look for?? I just figured the ones I have been buying from the local shop were good because they were soooo expensive compared to other brands?? Maybe I should be more careful, but then again I have never broken a hook while tying or even fishing the ones I tied?? Nor have I ever payed much attention to the sharpness of the hook?? I just like to be out there fishing ;)

The coolest thing is catching a fish on a fly you tied, a rod you built, and a line setup you created :thumb :smokin . Thats a great feeling.

Good question and thanks for bringing it up :thumb :thumb

~Patrick ><>

G

·
Hooks do matter and generally you get what you pay for. There are exceptions to this. Most of my comments will be aimed at steelhead and salmon hooks so might not hold true for trout sizes.

Tiemco -- good hooks, nice finish, high price, good point, will not open up on you.

Dia-Riki -- good hooks, good price, so-so finish, good point, maybe a touch below the Tiemco in quality (some qc problems from time to time) but a good choice for the $$.

Diaichi -- Very good hook, somewhat pricey but worth it. Super point, , nice finish, good quality, nice selection (hint - try the 2141 for steelhead, a wide gaped straight eye that holds great), will not open up.

Mustad -- Fair hook, great price, sub-par finish, poor point (these need to be filed out of the box and I even suggest tapering them as they are quite blunt, will not open up.

Alec Jacksons -- Beautiful hook, pricey, beautiful finish with options of gold, nickel and black, average point, earlier versions tended to spring open on bigger fish. They have a bad rap because of this but man do they tie a pretty looking spey fly.

Partridge -- Good hook, somewhat pricey, excellent point, good finish, some models prone to opening up. There are a number of models and some have strengths the others do not. The N is a sticky sharp "light" wire hook but will not open up. The 10/1 are a bartleet style spey hook that are sprinky as hell in some sizes.

Gamekatsu -- Good hook, pricey, good point, great finish with colors, will not open up.

Or simply do what a number of hard core steel chasers have done and switch to tubes :7 You don't have to worry about hooks much and you get to buy lots of new stuff.

And for all sizes if you need a comparison. Simply get a Kaufman's, Cabelas or Feather Crafters catalog and cross reference. These show a number of types of hooks with description of length, wire, etc.

Hope this helps.

sinktip

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Dunb question time. What do you mean whan you say "will not open up".Being that I'm not to smart I have to ask all these questions :dunno I have an idea what you mean but maybe I'm not to sure

Jim

P/S why is the type like it is and not like the other threads. And also the icons won't work this way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Swinger,
Where do you get the 2499's? I haven't seen them in any shops in the Seattle area. As far as hook-ups go, I've had no problems while chironomid fishing with 2487's or 2302's. As far as a chironomid on a TMC 100, lets all hope you're joking about that one.
Brian

G

·
Some hooks will bend or spring open when put under strain. Hence "open up". Usually they will spring back but never all the way and once sprung, tend to be predisposed to do it easily again.

The original Alec Jackson speys were said to be bad at this. So much so that the "Alec Jackson release" phrase came into being. I have a friend that still complains about a Thompson River fish he lost to this. I have never lost a fish due to this on an AJ hook but have AJ "released" a couple on the larger size Partridge 10/1.

Also the newer AJs are a little beefier and I don't think are as prone to this problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.