Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got out after as month of just talking about it. I drove to BSC this morning. I left about 0930. I got up to as far as I wanted to go. Up where Deadmans Creek crosses the road. About 70 miles from my back door. I parked and walked down to where the road runs under the creek. It looked good so I walked back to my truck, By the time I get back to my truck I didn't want to walk anymore.

So I said the hell with this creek. I ate my lunch. Then I drove down to what I call the cave hole. You that have met up with me know where I'm talking about. I grabbed my 4wt with the two nymph set up and walked the short distance(about 25 feet) to the edge of the hole I flipped it out and saw a big flash of silver. I walked to the head of the hole and flipped it out it drifted into the hole and I had a hit and a hook up a very bright 13" cutthroat. Fought like the dickens. After that hook up I ended up with a birds nest so I had to fix that. I tried it again but no takers.

So I drove about 100 feet downstream. Grabbed my 3wt with the Purple Haze on it. I never had any luck with this fly. It sure worked good today. Two fish took a swipe at it. Didn't hook them so I casted out again and ended up with another mess. I sat in my truck and untangled it after I cut the damn thing off. I retied the Purple Haze back on but the fish refused it. SO I got back in my truck and drove down to the next bridge.

I tried my two fly again. One cast and I had on a double. One got off but I brought the other one in. I was going to cast it out again but I ended up with another mess. I fixed that mess and was going to try again but my back and legs said nothing doing.

I have a bad back and walking is not my strong suite. I took some pictures but not of any fish. I didn't have my camera on me when I was playing in the water. I shake a lot so I tend to get my leader and flies to move around quite a bit. But I got out and most of you were probably were working/ The water was clear I could almost see the bottom of these two holes They are over 10 feet deep.

Attachments

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
Good report and pictures OMJ.
Sorry to hear about all the tangles.

Things look a bit congested. How was traffic? ;)
SF

Reactions: Dupher

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Second picture down in the left column. That bigger green bush has a nice hole on the water side. I've been tempted to bring some cutters and take the damn thing out. That's where my tangles come from. Trying to keep it out of the bushes as it drifts downstream.

If I was computer smart I could put words underneath the pictures. But I'm not. So I have to fumble around in the dark like.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
GREAT PICTURES AND GREAT REPORT JIM. Glad you got out and wet a line.
I have been making attempts to do so all week but so far, no love on the water.
Maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
I would call your report very useful and downright awesome. No smoke rings intended either! Sorry about your back but glad you got out and got some shakes (on the end of your rod)!

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Awesome!!
Are two flies absolutely necessary? If you shake, I can see how the tangles occur. I have a hard enough time with just the rod tip wobble doing it to me unexpectedly when I go to put my hook on the keeper if I'm fishing two flies.
I fished two flies for many years, and still do, especially if I'm searching for what they're eating. But once I know, I clip one fly off. Too much hassle untangling shit.

Reactions: The Drifter
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.