Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
Any recommendations for a long sleeve hot weather shirt? I have a couple older Simm's shirts that are just ok, but they either don't seem to breath very well or don't dry quickly once wet. I prefer not going to spend $$$$, but I understand to get something that works it may not be cheap. Hopefully I can find a discount site like Backcountry or something like that. What do I need to be paying attention to.....any recommendations on brand, model, or material?
Thanks,
Mike

·
I hope she likes whitefish
1,724 Posts
Hey Mike, my go-to lately for really hot days is a lightweight Under Armour shirt and arm sleeves. Lots of companies make the sleeves, but they look like this:
https://www.simmsfishing.com/sunsleeve-2.html

I much prefer this over a long sleeve as when you need to, you can remove the sleeves and cool off in the evening when the sun goes down.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Just make sure you're color coordinated, and make sure they're ironed crisply and properly prior to your outing.... ask Swimmy - he has all the important details worked out.

Having said that, I really like the ones designed by Feather-Craft (no ironing needed for drinks at the bar apre' fishing) :cool::p

"Bob Story's Favorite" is the name, and they're in St. Louis, so they know their heat and humidity.

@ $59~ I've worn them for a few years now and like 'em!

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you're not restricted by having to have a fly fishing brand on your shirt, I like the Armachillo shirts from Duluth Trading. They run large (made for big bellied carpenters and the like). I normally wear a large, but medium fits me great in this shirt--still plenty of shoulder room. Also, two big chest pockets ideal for fly boxes.

I also have a couple of the newer Sage shirts that I really like; it's the lighter nylon fabric that may be the same as these Armachillo shirts for all I know (it's all just marketing). Sage's older shirts tended to be a bit thicker, that I like for fall use. I second the Ex-Officio vote--they make good stuff as well.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Mike, this isn't exactly what you are asking for but any mention of shirts should include Jiffy Shirts which has a distribution center right here in Washington I believe. They are largely a purveyor of tee shirts but they have about every tee shirt imaginable including my favorite-long sleeve pocket tees. They are damned near impossible to find in a store and the selection is always poor and the prices high. Jiffy sells all the name brand stuff in a variety of colors at very reasonable prices. I have bought from them for years and the shipping has always been surprisingly prompt even to up here on the frozen tundra.

I won't wear any shirt without a pocket and Jiffy offers me the best selection of pocket tees I have found. No fishing shirt I have ever had seems cool enough in the summer sun-think day on the Deschutes in Aug-but a 100% cotton tee with long sleeves does a good job of preventing a fry while still being reasonably cool. And you can buy a drawer full for the price of a real "fishing shirt". Another plus is that in winter they are much warmer and more comfortable than short sleeved undershirts.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike, this isn't exactly what you are asking for but any mention of shirts should include Jiffy Shirts which has a distribution center right here in Washington I believe. They are largely a purveyor of tee shirts but they have about every tee shirt imaginable including my favorite-long sleeve pocket tees. They are damned near impossible to find in a store and the selection is always poor and the prices high. Jiffy sells all the name brand stuff in a variety of colors at very reasonable prices. I have bought from them for years and the shipping has always been surprisingly prompt even to up here on the frozen tundra.

I won't wear any shirt without a pocket and Jiffy offers me the best selection of pocket tees I have found. No fishing shirt I have ever had seems cool enough in the summer sun-think day on the Deschutes in Aug-but a 100% cotton tee with long sleeves does a good job of preventing a fry while still being reasonably cool. And you can buy a drawer full for the price of a real "fishing shirt". Another plus is that in winter they are much warmer and more comfortable than short sleeved undershirts.
Thanks Ivan. I love cotton for spring, fall, but think I want to stick with something synthetic for summer for quick drying properties. I will look up Jiffy though!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Mike, my go-to lately for really hot days is a lightweight Under Armour shirt and arm sleeves. Lots of companies make the sleeves, but they look like this:
https://www.simmsfishing.com/sunsleeve-2.html

I much prefer this over a long sleeve as when you need to, you can remove the sleeves and cool off in the evening when the sun goes down.
Not a bad idea, thanks. The fact that it is tight on your skin doesn't make you feel warmer in the summer?

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Desert Industries used cotton twill in my favorite light sand/tan color. I can usually pick nice ones up for $5. More recently, I have liked the Cabela's Guidewear shirts that are quick drying and offer both UV and bug repellency. I catch them on clearance every once and awhile. Unlike Swimmy, I hate spending good coin on fashion.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
Greetings,
Any recommendations for a long sleeve hot weather shirt? I have a couple older Simm's shirts that are just ok, but they either don't seem to breath very well or don't dry quickly once wet. I prefer not going to spend $$$$, but I understand to get something that works it may not be cheap. Hopefully I can find a discount site like Backcountry or something like that. What do I need to be paying attention to.....any recommendations on brand, model, or material?
Thanks,
Mike
Ex-officio makes the best that I have tried.

I get mine at thrift stores

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.