Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Now fishing on weekdays too!
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a silly observation brought to mind while fishing yesterday, trolling around in the Water Master. Logic says it can't be so; it must just seem that way!

Why do the fish bite at the least opportune times? Like, when you are pouring a cup of coffee, opening that bottle of water, fussing with that bag of trail mix, or just reeling in to head home.

One might think about this after some event that seems to reinforce the notion. But, yesterday after the action had slowed... I thought to myself: If I grab the water bottle, and begin to open it, I bet a fish will hit. Sure enough!

I am sorry to report, although I caught that 12 inch Rainbow, I could not repeat the process. Must be one Twillight Zone moment per customer!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Why do the fish bite at the least opportune times? Like, when you are pouring a cup of coffee, opening that bottle of water, fussing with that bag of trail mix, or just reeling in to head home.
It's one of the major secrets to catching a fish when things are slow. Sometimes you have to pull out Trent's trick as well with the addition of holding a hot coffee with the other hand while cradling that way too expensive new rod under your arm. But you have to trick your mind into believing that the body of water is somehow devoid of fish in order to trigger the event.

G

·
Then there's my personal favorite. After fishing a pattern for several minutes knowing that it "should" produce a hit, you decide to real in and change to a different pattern and WHACK!

Now, should I keep the fly on and fish it a "few more" minutes or change. :hmmm: :beathead:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.