Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a nice raft a few months back. I haven't yet found a good method of storing my gear in the boat. I've been putting it next to me between the side of the cooler (which is also the seat for the person rowing) and the frame. Its a good spot for it - out of the way and off the floor, but it isn't easy to find stuff since the sides get crunched together a bit. I'm thinking that a few hard-sided cases with watertight lids might be better (one for each side of the cooler). Perhaps plastic ammo cases?

Has anyone else had this issue and solved it?

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
I bought a nice raft a few months back. I haven't yet found a good method of storing my gear in the boat. I've been putting it next to me between the side of the cooler (which is also the seat for the person rowing) and the frame. Its a good spot for it - out of the way and off the floor, but it isn't easy to find stuff since the sides get crunched together a bit. I'm thinking that a few hard-sided cases with watertight lids might be better (one for each side of the cooler). Perhaps plastic ammo cases?

Has anyone else had this issue and solved it?
I finally bought a 25 L dry bag.

You could literally tie a rope to it, and let it drag in the water being you. :p

Actually, I shove it in an area in the back, and because it's a dry bag, I don't care if it gets wet.

I can just reach back, put it in my lap, rummage around to get what I want, roll it back up, and put it back.

Note: If you are a "everything has to be in order/in its place" type of person, a dry bag is not for you.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Oh, what I didn't mention was, I tried the "box/cooler and Tupperware thing, but something would always happen, and either a strap came off, lid got jarred open, etc.

I'm sure it was me, and or my style of moving around, but I wasn't willing to change. I'm getting lazy...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally bought a 25 L dry bag.

You could literally tie a rope to it, and let it drag in the water being you. :p

Actually, I shove it in an area in the back, and because it's a dry bag, I don't care if it gets wet.

I can just reach back, put it in my lap, rummage around to get what I want, roll it back up, and put it back.

Note: If you are a "everything has to be in order/in its place" type of person, a dry bag is not for you.
I have a dry bag, and that part of the equation work perfectly. I'm talking about something to hold my spare leaders, fly boxes, etc. In my pontoon I had two long slender compartments with flat, zippered tops, and they worked fine. If I were to do the same thing on the raft I suspect they'd get crunched every time I got in and out.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
I have a dry bag, and that part of the equation work perfectly. I'm talking about something to hold my spare leaders, fly boxes, etc. In my pontoon I had two long slender compartments with flat, zippered tops, and they worked fine. If I were to do the same thing on the raft I suspect they'd get crunched every time I got in and out.
What about just whatever sling/vest/hip pack you use wading, that way you can get out and fish like normal?
Kyle is spot on.

I take my sling/hip pack, and buckle it around my seat, so it's on the backside.

Not sure if there's room for that on yours or not, but worth a try.

Assuming you have such a pack...

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Here's my Salmonfly.

Water Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Watercraft

Stripping basket in front on lean bar.

Aluminum tray under front and oarsman seat. Leaves room for dry bags/wet storage under seats and quick access in trays.

Dry boxes strapped to frame on right side deck.

Dry box in oarsman cockpit.

This is my day trip and guiding set-up, Yeti Hopper 30 fits in cockpit drop box.

Multiple day set up replaces trays with dry boxes, cooler in cockpit.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
A year or two ago my boat bag finally began to fall apart (it was made by the Coldwater Pack Co. and was nearly twenty years old) so I began looking for another and settled on one from Gander Mountain. It's about 10 x 12 x 18 and has a hard bottom. I, too, place it between the seat/cooler and the frame and the hard bottom allows it to maintain its shape. It has enough zippered compartments inside to hold all the necessary odds and ends and the main bag holds all of the fly boxes, reels, tools, etc. that I need.

Luggage and bags Motor vehicle Baby carriage Bag Automotive exterior

·
Registered
266 Posts
If I'm on a rafting trip that's main focus is fishing, I'll throw all my needed gear in a pelican case and watershed ocoee Drybag. For those not familiar with watershed, they are hands down the most bombproof and functional drybags. They open like a duffel so you can see what you need to grab (versus standard roll tops that can leave the needed piece of gear at the bottom).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.