Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to work the search reature on this forum. What am I doing wrong? I type in a key word or key words and almost every topic ever posted on this site is displayed with none of them having anything to do with my keywords.

Computer dummy that needs help.:+

fly15

·
Registered
44 Posts
Couple things I discovered are that if you are going to search on more than one keyword switch to advanced search and use the options available there.

And don't try to use wild cards or search operators, they won't work, or at least they didn't for me. It seems the search engine only likes literal strings and will search for whatever you enter.

Also for some reason when you enter a search word or words and hit enter you get every posting. If you use the search button you get the correct result set. The forum software doesn't seem to like the enter key for some reason.

Brad

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried typing in, tiger trout and surf perch as key words and got, "Kaufmans fly shop and there attitudes" not to mention over 600 other topics that have nothing to do with my key words. I tried the simple search and clicked the button and didn't hit the enter button.

Computer dummy that still doesn't know what he is doing.:+

fly15

·
120 Posts
Keep it simple. For example, in the advanced mode, type in "tiger trout", click on the "and" radio button. The "and" means all character strings that have tiger "and" trout. Then hit the search button.

If you left it at "or" it would mean any string with tiger "or" trout. There are a huge number of posts with the word trout in them.

Good Luck!

·
North Bend, WA
4,400 Posts
The simple form uses 'Or' search logic. That is to say, if you search on "tiger trout" it's going to return a list of topics which have "tiger" or "trout" in them. "tiger trout" is a good example of what doesn't search well with the simple form as trout is such a popular word within the forum. My search hit the ceiling of 1621 returns which isn't useful in the least. Simply searching on "tiger" yields a more useful return of 71 topics and given we're not discussing tigers (the cat) that often it's likely in this case most of those topics might have something related to tiger trout.

If you would like to search using a phrase, use the advanced search form. Enter your keywords, then select "And" for your search logic. It'll then return a list of threads that contain either "tiger trout" or "trout tiger". My search returned 37 topics which is a little easier to puruse through.

I'll look at changing the search logic on the simple form to something a little more helpful. At least to where you can specify 'Or' or 'And' search logic without having to hit the advanced form.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.