Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sure, I heard they are very good, but I'm curious about one specific area: line "slickness". I've been using cheap, no-name fly lines I found online. These lines are generally good, cast in the way the profile chart says they would. But one big problem is that, even for a brand-new line, after 1 or 2 hours, they become sticky and impossible to double-haul. I rigorously clean them up in warm water after every use, but no good. They just got sticky after a couple of hours into fishing. So, before I spend $100 on a name-brand line, I wonder are they any better? Can they last, like, several tens of hours of use and still be able to do double-haul? Can anybody share your experiences? Thank you in advance. (I tried line dressing, but my favorite product, Orvis line slicker, is discontinued some years ago. It's a spray can, you can directly spray the liquid onto the line when it's on the reel.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
In my opinion, like everything in life you get what you pay for, if you are using cheap line, you can’t expect high end performance. Not everybody wants to spend $100 on a line, or can afford $100for a high end line. However if you watch the classified, you can sometime find a lightly used qualty line for half of the normal price. Then you can decide from that experience if you want, or can afford a new quality line. Rio, and SAalso have lines, that are more economy minded as well, which would most likely be better, than a cheap line. I have not tried any of the slick, lines so cannot give an opinion, on those. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
279 Posts
In short. Yes. Current offerings from Rio and SA lines are very slick and shoot line well during a full day (or week) of fishing. I use them both, but prefer the welded loops and tapers of SA lines. I also agree with Spurly, keep an eye on the classifieds and look for a lightly used line to try for $40-$60 if you don't want to spend $100 out of the gate. A quality line can be a game-changer on your favorite rod, making it fish even better. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My recomendation for a more reasonable priced line would be a Rio trout. You would probably be less frustrated, by not having to clean so often, thus having more time for fishing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts