Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sure, I heard they are very good, but I'm curious about one specific area: line "slickness". I've been using cheap, no-name fly lines I found online. These lines are generally good, cast in the way the profile chart says they would. But one big problem is that, even for a brand-new line, after 1 or 2 hours, they become sticky and impossible to double-haul. I rigorously clean them up in warm water after every use, but no good. They just got sticky after a couple of hours into fishing. So, before I spend $100 on a name-brand line, I wonder are they any better? Can they last, like, several tens of hours of use and still be able to do double-haul? Can anybody share your experiences? Thank you in advance. (I tried line dressing, but my favorite product, Orvis line slicker, is discontinued some years ago. It's a spray can, you can directly spray the liquid onto the line when it's on the reel.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my opinion, like everything in life you get what you pay for, if you are using cheap line, you can’t expect high end performance. Not everybody wants to spend $100 on a line, or can afford $100for a high end line. However if you watch the classified, you can sometime find a lightly used qualty line for half of the normal price. Then you can decide from that experience if you want, or can afford a new quality line. Rio, and SAalso have lines, that are more economy minded as well, which would most likely be better, than a cheap line. I have not tried any of the slick, lines so cannot give an opinion, on those. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
287 Posts
In short. Yes. Current offerings from Rio and SA lines are very slick and shoot line well during a full day (or week) of fishing. I use them both, but prefer the welded loops and tapers of SA lines. I also agree with Spurly, keep an eye on the classifieds and look for a lightly used line to try for $40-$60 if you don't want to spend $100 out of the gate. A quality line can be a game-changer on your favorite rod, making it fish even better. Good luck.

·
High in the trees
17 Posts
I think it's worth spending $100-130 on a line. Besides the rod, line choice influences your cast the most. I prefer SA or Airflo to Rio. I've never washed or wiped my lines besides a quick dunk when fishing and never had a problem, but I only fish fresh water.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Partial to SA over here in Michigan - I find they tend to hold up a bit better than the Rio lines and aren’t as dang heavy. Rio lines are getting out of control - some 2-3 sizes over weight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, they are that much better. trust us. Even a used one is going to blow your mind as to how much longer they stay slick and shootable.

i don’t want to oversell it, but like another poster said, I rarely “clean” my lines. Let that sink in…I mean maybe once a season. Sure that’s lazy, and I could be better, but still, I’m getting away with it and catching plenty of fish.

Ive picked up my friends rods lately and he uses cheap lines and I instantly notice each time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use Rio Premier Striper on my 9wt and SA infinity on my 5’s. While I think you could probably debate which exact line loads your rod best, I don’t think I can tell any difference in slickness between the two…the Rio is my salt water line so it does get grittier faster but I think it’s a product of environment rather than quality.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Rio seems to be holding up better than SA. I had a SA line that cracked in about 5 lawn casts when I was trying to see how it loaded my rod. To their credit, SA sent me a new line for free and no questions asked-took about two weeks

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
My experience with SA and Rio is opposite of Dg421, I don't get long life from Rio WF's and I do with SA.

How about Cortland Peach classic fly lines? I've been buying them more often than SA; they retail for $64.95 and are durable, stay slick and long lasting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts