Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried up to four rods last spring. Not sure if that was optimal. Do you take one rod with a floating line and change between dry fly fishing and a chironomid setup? Or two rods strung with floating lines, one for dries and one for chironomids? I'm pretty happy having my old Fenwick fiberglass 7 1/2' 6 wt strung with a fast sink WF6S for dragging buggers between spots or other deep fished nymphs from an anchored position. I'm less certain about having a rod with a sink tip line. Back in the days before beadhead nymph patterns, the sink tip got a lot of use. It seems less necessary now.

I'm going to make a rod rack for the new pram, but have yet to decide how many rods it should hold. How many strung rods do you take out on still water?

Sg

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Two to four, tomorrow four. One standard floater (I use monofilament so I can quickly go to a dry fly), one type-7 full sink, one with a 40 foot I-line (Coast QuickShooter) for stripping streamers above shoals and the switch rod with a floater and 30 foot leader as I want to suspend a balanced leech beneath an indicator along a dropoff.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
2 in the pram & occasionally when I'm using one of my 'toons, depending on where I'm fishing and what quarry may be available. 1 fly rod when float tubing, as that is enough for me to manage. I do carry two or three 7' spinning rods aboard my float tube when fishing that way for bass, however (hey, I love to fish & am of the equal-opportunity persuasion when out with non-fly fishing friends:D. And it's ALL fun!).

·
Registered
904 Posts
Last year I started carrying 3 - one with a sinking line (either a clear intermediate or type VI, depending on the lake), one set up for indicator fishing, and a 7-1/2 footer for dry flies or surface emergers. Sometimes surface activity only lasts a short time, and you can miss it if you're spending a lot of time re-rigging.

Tom

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Two to four, tomorrow four. One standard floater (I use monofilament so I can quickly go to a dry fly), one type-7 full sink, one with a 40 foot I-line (Coast QuickShooter) for stripping streamers above shoals and the switch rod with a floater and 30 foot leader as I want to suspend a balanced leech beneath an indicator along a dropoff.
Why am I suddenly feeling unprepared?:(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.