Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If one wanted to putt up and down the lower Skagit (Conway area for example) in a little 12ft boat, how much motor would you need. 1-2 guys, not looking to go fast, just don't want to get stuck anywhere.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I've done it with a six horse and no problems. You do need to be aware of the tides on a big low some spots get pretty skinny (depending on river flow). I haven't done it in years but I think there is still a log jam below Conway blocking the way to Milltown. Never messed around in the N. fork or mainstem which have more water, probably more current. Worse case scenario you wait for the tide to turn. I will say all those trips were late summer and fall, no experience this time of year.

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
I used to fish the Skagit from below the forks and Conway up to and above Sedro Woolley in a 12 footer with a 9.9 hp motor and it was plenty. In many cases a small prop powered boat can get into places a larger jet powered boat couldn't. Watch the tides, take your time, watch the other boats and if it doesn't look good don't do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.