Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

How to find and fix a leak in a raft?

6K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Jim F. 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a Curtis raft that has a leak in it, and was wanting to get it ready for some backpacking this Summer. What process do you use to find they leak, and how to you repair them? I don't have the patch material sent with the boat. Just curious how you would go about it.

I have to say, my attempts at fixing waders in the past have all failed, so I obviously have no idea what I'm doing when finding and fixing leaks.

Thanks!

#3 ·
If the hole is small, you can use AquaSeal or some other waterproof adhesive that sets flexible. Outdoor Goop will work and I've heard that AquaSeal is a thin type of the same stuff they use for Outdoor Goop.

If the hole is large, you must know the material of your raft and cut a patch of the same material. Attach it with AquaSeal, or again, a similar waterproof adhesive.

I've fixed lots of leaks in inflatable fishing devices with the above approach.

#5 · (Edited)
Scott, good advise. I came across a clear tape used by rubber rafters that was intended to use for sealing holes in a rubber raft during a trip. I know it works for rubber but I'm not sure about any other material. As my SuperCat is made from rubber raft material, I carry a roll of the clear tape.

#11 ·
I poked a pin hole in one of my tubes with an errant cast. A spray bottle with dish soap helped locate the leak. I marked the hole and deflated the tube. I used a drop of aqua seal on the leak and sucked the rest of the air out of the tube with a vacuum cleaner, actually pulling the some of aqua seal into the pin hole. It has held for over 8 years. Tom

#17 ·
You may be okay with using the sealant with the tube inflated... if it doesn't work, you can always reseal it.

Seams are indeed a bitch... so are valves. My SuperCat would lose air over time while hanging in my garage so I used the soapy water test and I found a number of tiny leaks in the cap end seams for the pontoons. I resealed all the seams on the ends. Now, when I inflate the pontoons they stay inflated for months and lose very, very little air between fishing trips.

Sometimes a valve will leak due to dirt keeping it open. If it is sticking, cleaning the valve will normally work. Other times you have no choice but to replace it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.